Vaticanus OT online? Other online resources for OT TC?

  • Jim Darlack
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012

      Does anyone know of a free (legal) source of images of Vaticanus online?

      I’m in the process of putting together a research guide on OT textual criticism for students at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. I’ve had a PDF version available for a while (http://goo.gl/SfonW), but I’m in the process of transferring links over to an HTML version that I can update regularly (http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library/ottc.cfm).

      The call numbers are related to Gordon-Conwell’s collection of texts (at our South Hamilton campus), but the research guide may be of use to others. If you have any suggestions for other resources, please pass them along!

      Jim Darlack, Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction

      _
      Gordon-Conwell
      Theological Seminary
      SEMINAREOLOGICAL SEMINARY
      Goddard Library
      130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982

      P: 978.646.4004  |  F: 978.646.4567
      Connect with Goddard Library on Facebook

      THINK Theologically  |  ENGAGE Globally  |  LIVE Biblically

    • Robert Relyea
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
        On 11/09/2012 07:15 AM, Jim Darlack wrote: [if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" /> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" /> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif] |**|begin egp html banner|**|

        Does anyone know of a free (legal) source of images of Vaticanus online?

        I photographed the Volumes I, II, & III of the 1904-1907 black and white facsimile of the codex Vaticanus ( don't have volume IV, which is the New Testament). Codex Vaticanus (1904–07) (Vaticanus graecus 1209) facs.: Bibliorum SS. Graecorum Codex Vaticanus 1209 (Cod. B) denuo phototypice expressus iussu et cura praesidium bibliothecae Vaticanae. Testamentum vetus et novum, 4 vols (Milan).

        I don't have it online anywhere, but I'm willing to release my images to someone willing to host them.

        bob

      • bucksburg
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2012
          The Creation Museum in Kentucky is hosting some rare books from the Van Kempen Collection. Most of them are in a guarded room with no cameras allowed. But one of them is an opened facsimile of Codex Vaticanus, on display near Noah's Ark with no such prohibitions posted.

          I suppose I could take a picture of that page (probably NT, though) and post it to the group--but might this already be available elsewhere?

          There's also a display of Paul penning one of his epistles--using a very odd uncial font, in which Pi and Gamma are barely distinguishable. I could make out individual words (fully written-out NS) but not identify the text (Paul apparently didn't spell all that well when Tertius wasn't around).

          Noah's list of supplies being taken on board is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform, but that's for another forum.

          Daniel Buck
        • Danger
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
            Daniel, et al.

            You mentioned that "Noah's list of supplies... is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform," but that this is "for another forum."

            Please, please tell me where such a forum is. I would love to join it. (Sreiously: I enjoy this present group a lot, but where can I find a vigorous group of Biblical Hebrew scholars with whom to interact online?).

            Best,

            Chris

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "bucksburg" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

            > The Creation Museum in Kentucky is hosting some rare books from the Van Kempen Collection. Most of them are in a guarded room with no cameras allowed. But one of them is an opened facsimile of Codex Vaticanus, on display near Noah's Ark with no such prohibitions posted.
            >
            > I suppose I could take a picture of that page (probably NT, though) and post it to the group--but might this already be available elsewhere?
            >
            > There's also a display of Paul penning one of his epistles--using a very odd uncial font, in which Pi and Gamma are barely distinguishable. I could make out individual words (fully written-out NS) but not identify the text (Paul apparently didn't spell all that well when Tertius wasn't around).
            >
            > Noah's list of supplies being taken on board is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform, but that's for another forum.
            >
            > Daniel Buck

          • bucksburg
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 24, 2012
              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, <sigebryht@...> wrote:
              >> You mentioned that "Noah's list of supplies... is in a mix of paleo-Hebrew and cuneiform," but that this is "for another forum."<<

              b-hebrew@... is an email list for discussing Biblical Hebrew--similar to the former b-Greek list that many of us were on before it moved to an online forum. Just send them a 'subscribe' message.

              BTW, I was able to identify the text of Paul's papyrus manuscript: 2 Timothy 3:15-17. What threw me off the most was the uncial ligature of EI, which I first took for a squared-off B, as the two letters are completely merged into each other. I also at first took U for N since it is written as a sans-serif V. The fact that I had to view the display upside-down wasn't a big hindrance, but it certainly didn't help any.

              An interesting note: Not counting the DSS fragment facsimile, there are a total of six Hebrew manuscripts in the display, including a Karaite prayer book from the Cairo Geniza, and none of them have the Masoretic vocalization (I'm not altogether sure about the burned Torah Scroll from Romania, as it was upside-down and rolled up, but I couldn't see any in the little text that was visible). All that work on the seven crowned letters, using an incredibly fine stroke, but no vocalizations.