Re: [textualcriticism] How to add Greek & Hebrew characters?

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012
      You can get unicode fonts from the SBL (sbl-site.org). Just follow the links on the left side of the page.

      Jake

      On 11/7/2012 4:31 PM, Roger wrote:

      Greetings!

      After reading Arie Dirkzwager's post, I was reminded of a question that I had (which is off-topic--- I apologise--- but may help others who have similar problems). How do you post Greek and Hebrew characters without it turning out like Arie's post or a bunch of rectangles? The characters I use look perfectly fine in the messages that I send (from my end), but they often become terribly garbled when they appear on Yahoo! Groups. (I noticed that many of you do not seem to have that problem.) I have tried using Western European (ISO), Unicode (UTF-7 and UTF-8), and some other formats combined with fonts like Ariel (Unicode), Times New Roman (Unicode), etc. Any suggestions?

      Thank you in advance for your help.

      - Roger

    • A. Dirkzwager
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2012
        My apologies for the way my proposition appeared on your screen.
        I submitted it with all the Hebrew and Greek characters and then it was in good order. But I got it back as a list of asterisks and numbers.
        So I think the next time I will use Hebrew or Greek, I will put the notice on my website and send a link to the list.

        Arie

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
          Bob,

          Thanks for your feedback. Although I have done what you have suggested in the past (without success on Yahoo! Groups), I will try it again. As I mentioned in my previous message (which you have quoted), I have several Unicode fonts (including others that I did not mention--- like SBL Hebrew, SBL Greek, etc.). Maybe there's a glitch somewhere on my end? When you (and many others) have posted Unicode it appears fine on my end--- but when I post something, it seems to get garbled somewhere between pressing "SEND" and its appearance in Yahoo! Groups. {rolling eyes} Ah well. Thank you for your response!

          - Roger

          Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:40 PM

          On 11/07/2012 01:31 PM, Roger wrote:
          |**|begin egp html banner|**|

          Greetings!

          After reading Arie Dirkzwager's post, I was reminded of a question that I had (which is off-topic--- I apologise--- but may help others who have similar problems). How do you post Greek and Hebrew characters without it turning out like Arie's post or a bunch of rectangles? The characters I use look perfectly fine in the messages that I send (from my end), but they often become terribly garbled when they appear on Yahoo! Groups. (I noticed that many of you do not seem to have that problem.) I have tried using Western European (ISO), Unicode (UTF-7 and UTF-8), and some other formats combined with fonts like Ariel (Unicode), Times New Roman (Unicode), etc. Any suggestions?
          UTF-8 seems to be the most supported these days. Mac, Windows and Linux support them natively. The trick is to make sure you have the hebrew and greek unicode fonts. This is likely less brittle than the old 'code page' trick, particularly if you need to mix the greek and hebrew with latin characters.

          bob

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2012
            Jake,

            Thank you for your advice. I use those fonts (and many others) regularly, which is likely why everything displays fine on my end (including text that most people have posted here). The problem seems to occur somewhere between me pressing "SEND" (with a message containing Hebrew / Greek characters) and its arrival on Yahoo! Groups. (I haven't noticed any settings in my Yahoo! profile that would prevent me from posting messages containing Unicode.) {shrug}

            - Roger