RE: [textualcriticism] Emanuel Tov' and the Documentary Hypothesis

  • Dave Washburn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2012
      I don't actually have the edition that I referred to, I believe I have the first (my books are packed at the moment because the family is moving to a new place in 2 weeks). My perhaps-faulty memory thinks it was the second edition, but I would have to have it in front of me in order to come up with specifics. I do remember being horribly disappointed at the development, but that's as far as my few remaining neurons can take me at the moment. At least without more coffee.

      If he has shed that idea in subsequent editions, then I both stand corrected, and am very happy about it.

      Dave Washburn
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
      Check out my review show, No Life With Irving

      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      From: stevenavery@...
      Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 19:18:02 -0400
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Emanuel Tov' and the Documentary Hypothesis

      Hi,

      > Matt,
      > Emanuel Tov, The Text-Critical Use of the Septuagint in Biblical Research (Jerusalem Biblical Studies 8; Jerusalem: Simor, 1997) In the preface to the second edition, Tov mentions that the introductory chapter and the chapters on the vorlage of the Septuagint, the use of retroverted variants, and the relationship between the Septuagint and literary criticism have been extensively revised due to developments in the field.

      Dave Washburn

      I know he revised his book on textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible because he became an adherent of the Documentary Hypothesis; did he do the same with this book?

      David, could you show this adherence in some writings, or specific words ?