The there-it-is, there-it-isn't AUTOU in John 2:12

  • bucksburg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2012
      A look at Muenster's New Testament Transcripts Prototype for John 2:12 reveals the following text:

      και οι αδελφοι αυτου KAI OI ADELFOI AUTOU

      but as nearly as I can gather from all other online sources, NA27 does not contain the AUTOU after ADELFOI. Certainly Westcott-Hort didn't, although Tischendorf (following Aleph) did.

      Since AUTOU appears to have been absent from the Nestle text all the way back, I'm at a loss as to why a scribe inserted it into this online text. Neither of the two papyri* have it.
      *p66 has it added as a correction.

      This verse, by the way, serves as a good example of most English versions translating a text (typically Byz) other than their base text (typically NA). Many modern versions, which otherwise follow NA, read "his brothers" here.

      The NIV, which is often able to weasel out of taking one side or another in such cases, reads "his mother and brothers."
      The NLT, not being quite so literal, is free to express the NA text in such a way as to look like it's translating the Byz text.
      The NASB, being held to a high standard of literal translation, italicizes 'his' to show their putative faithfulness to NA, but their acceptance of the Byz text for actual translation purposes.

      The other translations that find themselves on the literal end of the scale, but don't go so far as to use italics, tend to just read "his brothers," with, of course, no textual note to admit that it is in fact the Byz reading.

      Daniel Buck
    • Diana Fulbright
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2012

        Re John 2:12 –  “as nearly as I can gather from all other online sources, NA27 does not contain the AUTOU after ADELFOI…. Since AUTOU appears to have been absent from the Nestle text all the way back…”  Both NA27 and NA 26 read ‹οἱ ἀδελφοὶ [αὐτοῦ] καὶ οἱ μαθηταὶ αὐτοῦ›.

                Diana Fulbright

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:

            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: