Re: [textualcriticism] Mark 16:9-20 and the Diatessaron

  • Steven Avery
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 7, 2012
      Hi,

      Gary Cummings
      >George, I am in agreement here. It is likely that Tatian did produce
      >the Long ending.

      Steven
      Have you read the Diatessaron section ? You do realize, I hope, that
      the Diatessaron is designed as a harmony of the Gospels. Also it was
      not in Greek. And while it shows an awareness of the Markan ending,
      it is very different from our traditional Mark 16:9-20. In summary,
      it is virtually impossible to get to Mark 16:9-20 from the
      Diatessaron, but it is easy to see Mark 16:9-20 as one of the sources
      of the Diatessaron harmony.

      And, if somehow you could somehow anyway have a theory of Tatian
      fabrication of Mark 16:9-20 ... could you describe your transmission
      theory from the Tatian fabrication ? Which was likely in Syriac.

      Please explain the quick wide-ranging cross-language and
      cross-geography acceptance and dissemination, even to the Bible of
      Irenaeus a few decades later. (While the primary Bible of Irenaeus
      was Latin, he was also Greek fluent.)

      Could you describe your transmission theory a bit better ? I asked
      this of George, with no response, and then we found out he was
      writing tongue-in-cheek, so follow-up did not seem sensible. So the
      questions go over to you.

      Thanks.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery
      Bayside, NY
    • mikek
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 24, 2012
        Ross, I just bascially know the bare facts about the Long Ending of Mark. But having done some research (a little) and reading this thread I understand that the Long Ending of Mark is in just about every translation (including the early Syriac Peshitta, which some say is the original behind the "Greek skin.")

        As far as the Alternate ending are concerned, (correct me if I am wrong here folks) but only a very small, tiny (minute number) of mansucripts include the alternate Long Endings. IOW, the alternate Long Endings did not reproduce at all in the manuscript copies.

        Mike Karoules
        Georgia, USA