Re: [textualcriticism] Scribes

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
      When we study the scribal errors, glosses and interpolations in Christian texts, we see that they did not have the reverence for the text that was sacred to the Jewish Sofer.  Christian bishops and scribes were very narcissistic and each wanted to get their own “piece” of the text inserted.  They wrote colophons cursing other scribes while in a sofer’s mind that would be blasphemous.  A Masora type of system would take great discipline, something Christians have been quite short of.

      Jack

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jake wrote:
        >> I have always wondered why something similar to the Masora wasn't put in place for the Christian texts.>>

        What are you looking for exactly, Jake? Wrap-around commentary? See 2346. A stichometric catalog? See Codex Claromontanus.

        Daniel Buck
      • Jake
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
          Daniel,

          I'm not looking for anything. It was just an offhand comment.

          Jake

          On 8/7/2012 1:46 PM, bucksburg wrote:

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jake wrote:
          >> I have always wondered why something similar to the Masora wasn't put in place for the Christian texts.>>

          What are you looking for exactly, Jake? Wrap-around commentary? See 2346. A stichometric catalog? See Codex Claromontanus.

          Daniel Buck

        • Michael Borries
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012

            I can’t find the beginning of this thread, and am way behind in my emails, so if I’m duplicating information, I apologize, but I believe there is a masorah to the Peshitta, although I haven’t seen it published.

            Michael S. Borries

            Cataloger, City University of New York

            151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor

            New York, NY  10010