Re: [textualcriticism] Scribes

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 8:38 AM
      I have always wondered why something similar to the Masora wasn't put in place for the Christian texts...

      Jake

      On 8/5/2012 10:14 AM, George F Somsel wrote:

      While not directly aimed at TC of the scriptures, this does give some perspective.

      george
      gfsomsel

      search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 11:56 AM
        When we study the scribal errors, glosses and interpolations in Christian texts, we see that they did not have the reverence for the text that was sacred to the Jewish Sofer.  Christian bishops and scribes were very narcissistic and each wanted to get their own “piece” of the text inserted.  They wrote colophons cursing other scribes while in a sofer’s mind that would be blasphemous.  A Masora type of system would take great discipline, something Christians have been quite short of.

        Jack

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7 10:46 AM
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jake wrote:
          >> I have always wondered why something similar to the Masora wasn't put in place for the Christian texts.>>

          What are you looking for exactly, Jake? Wrap-around commentary? See 2346. A stichometric catalog? See Codex Claromontanus.

          Daniel Buck
        • Jake
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 2:19 PM
            Daniel,

            I'm not looking for anything. It was just an offhand comment.

            Jake

            On 8/7/2012 1:46 PM, bucksburg wrote:

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jake wrote:
            >> I have always wondered why something similar to the Masora wasn't put in place for the Christian texts.>>

            What are you looking for exactly, Jake? Wrap-around commentary? See 2346. A stichometric catalog? See Codex Claromontanus.

            Daniel Buck

          • Michael Borries
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8 8:27 AM

              I can’t find the beginning of this thread, and am way behind in my emails, so if I’m duplicating information, I apologize, but I believe there is a masorah to the Peshitta, although I haven’t seen it published.

              Michael S. Borries

              Cataloger, City University of New York

              151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor

              New York, NY  10010