The Singular Reading in Revelation 5:9

  • ps2866@bingo-ev.de
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
      Dear Friends,

      thank you, James, for the discussion of this verse! I agree with you.

      I think one could find reason that "us" makes sense besides the
      overwhelming mss-support. The clause
      "every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and have made them kings
      and priests upon the earth"
      may be seen as proper antecedent of "them" and not "us".

      OR we could compare this song with the song of Mose, where the redeemed
      group adresses themselfes by the third person plural (Ex 15). That makes a
      more general sense and isn't bad grammar.

      Yours
      Peter M. Streitenberger

    • sarban
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
        Hippolytus quotes a long passage from Revelation 5 in his Commentary on Daniel Book 4 Section 34
        See:

        Andrew Criddle

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
          Yes, and there he does render "and purchased US for God …", but he then continues with "and made a kingdom and priests" rather than specifying "them" though he does say "they shall reign …"

          george
          gfsomsel

          search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          Hippolytus quotes a long passage from Revelation 5 in his Commentary on Daniel Book 4 Section 34
          See:
          http://www.chronicon.net/chroniconfiles/Hippolytus%20Commentary%20on%20Daniel%20by%20TC%20Schmidt.pdf

          Andrew Criddle

          Does anyone happen to know where exactly in the works of Hippolytus are his utilizations of Rev. 5:9-10?

          .