The Armenian Lectionary of Hetum II

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      I have good news and bad news. The good news is that some Armenian researchers are finally putting materials online that do not primarily focus on illustrations. The bad news is that it's almost all still in Armenian.

      At http://www.matenadaran.am/v2_2/ you can see the Matenadaran website, and with a bit of exploring, you can find a page-by-page, magnification-capable presentation of the medieval Lectionary of King Hetum II. Some of the pages may take a while to load.

      There's also a video providing a virtual tour of a digital model of the Matenadaran complex. And at http://www.menq.am/tarer.htm there's a chart of Armenian letter-numerals (like Greek gematria, but with 36 characters). When you click on a letter, a new page that seems to be devoted especially to that letter, giving examples of how each letter may be presented anthropomorphically or zoomorphically in MS-decorations. Some of the pages have diverse musical accompaniment.

      Meanwhile, 62 images from the Armenian T'oros-Roslin Gospel of 1262 can be tracked down at the website of the Walters Art Gallery at http://art.thewalters.org/detail/8115/toros-roslin-gospels/ .