Re: General Question: Synaxarion

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2012
      So far it looks like there is no term for the list of daily readings tha presents only the first and last phrases for each lection for each day. Any objections if we call it a Lection-Calendar (or, Lection-Calendar plus the Eleven Heothina)?

    • jonathancborland
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012
        Jim,

        I misread your question. How about the "Lectionary incipit and explicit"?

        Sincerely,

        Jonathan

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Vox Verax" <james.snapp@...> wrote:

        > So far it looks like there is no term for the list of daily readings tha presents only the first and last phrases for each lection for each day. Any objections if we call it a Lection-Calendar (or, Lection-Calendar plus the Eleven Heothina)?
        >
        > Yours in Christ,
        >
        > James Snapp, Jr.

      • Vox Verax
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
          Jonathan,

          That might work -- but I think "Lection-Calendar" works better, since the list includes the dates for each lection. Also, "Lectionary incipit and explicit" might cause confusion between the incipit-phrases (special introductory phrases to begin the lection in the church-service) and the opening phrases of the lections as they exist in the continuous-text MS.

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "jonathancborland" <nihao@...> wrote:

          > Jim,
          >
          > I misread your question. How about the "Lectionary incipit and explicit"?
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Jonathan
        • spuluka
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Vox Verax" <james.snapp@...> wrote:

            > Jonathan,
            >
            > That might work -- but I think "Lection-Calendar" works better, since the list includes the dates for each lection.

            In modern publications for liturgical reference such lists are labeled simply "Lectionary". If you want to qualify the work for this purpose I would use "Lectionary List".

            Of course we now have the benefit of chapter and verse designations that make the listing simpler. But there are still occasions where one has to say things like "first half" or "second half" of a verse to correctly designate the open or close of a pericope.

            I don't like using calendar because in liturgical usage this tends to imply only the fixed cycle of the menaion. But perhaps your this list does only include such dates and nothing from the Paschal based cycle.

            Steve Puluka
            MA, Theology Duquesne University
            Cantor Holy Ghost Church
            Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
            Mckees Rocks, PA
            http://puluka.com
          • TeunisV
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
              Again: Gregory:
              http://www.archive.org/stream/p1novumtestamentum03tiscuoft#page/162/mode/2up
              Also p. 343.
              So: "lectionary tables" (tabulae) for the moveable and fixed year.
              In lists of syn and men can be references to Eusebian canones, to anagnosmata numerata (Gregory: anagn.) and to more: to incipits/explicits, for example.

              Om ms 652:
              http://www.archive.org/stream/novumtestamentu00abbogoog#page/n132/mode/2up

              Teunis van Lopik