Re: 652 - A Block-text Manuscript

  • Vox Verax
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012
      Daniel,

      Perhaps one could move the transition-points forward by a verse or two.

      On Image 1650 in 652, Mt. 22:15 begins; this is where, according to Champlin, the text switches to Caesarean. This is the beginning of chapter #52, and it is plainly marked as such in the margin. (The chapter-title is at the top of the page, in uncials.) It's also a new Eusebian Section. The person who wrote the section-numbers seems to have had a hard time keeping track of the Eusebian Section-numbers; on Image 1630 he accidentally wrote "221" where he should have written "220" (beside 21:45), and alongside 22:15, he apparently wrote "222" (although he had just written 222 on the previous page, alongside 22:11), but then fixed it by writing a "3" (gamma) over the "2" (beta).

      In 22:14, 652 does not have either "oi." The NA apparatus doesn't have enough variants listed in verses 15-18 to justify making a call about exactly where the text shifts to Caesarean. But probably Champlin based his conclusion on more detailed data from Lake.

      Over in Mark, looking at Image 2320, Mk. 4:21 reads just like the TR. In 4:22, "ti" is absent before "krupton," and "o" is absent after "krupton." That's the Family Pi reading.

      In 6:22, 652 has "and I will give you whatever you desire," instead of "whatever you desire, I will give you" – kai dwsw soi o ean me aithshs." Slashes above the phrases (// above kai and then / above o) probably were added with the intention that they would be understood to mean "transpose these phrases.") That, too, is the Family Pi reading.

      In 6:24, 652 has "kai" instead of the second "h de." This disagrees with the Family Pi reading.

      So, I would say that there is some wiggle-room, but as approximations, the references given seen adequate.