Re: [textualcriticism] 652 - A Block-text Manuscript

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2012
      From: Vox Verax <james.snapp@...>

      <<Manuscript 652 is a special manuscript. It contains the four Gospels and was produced in the 900's or 1000's. According to Russell Champlin, its text is Caesarean in Matthew 22:15-28:20. According to Silva Lake, its text is Caesarean in Mark 4:20-6:24. Silva Lake collated this manuscript's text of Mark as part of the research for "Family Pi and Codex Alexandrinus" (which can be downloaded for free). Outside of Mark 4:20-6:24, it is a good representative of family Pi in Mark, forming a sub-group with 72, 178, and 1313. >>

      It seems rather odd to so delineate the block text. 4:20 is within the Parable of the Soil and 6:24 is within the account of John's Decapitation. Wouldn't a scribe be likely to at least finish the paragraph before switching exemplars?  The only thing I can think of is that he returned from a cloaca break to find that a neighboring scribe (who believed that mss should be weighed, not counted) had run off with the codex he had been copying, in order to compare it with one potentially weightier.

      Would it be possible to extend these boundaries a few verses in either direction?

      Daniel Buck
    • Vox Verax
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012
        Daniel,

        Perhaps one could move the transition-points forward by a verse or two.

        On Image 1650 in 652, Mt. 22:15 begins; this is where, according to Champlin, the text switches to Caesarean. This is the beginning of chapter #52, and it is plainly marked as such in the margin. (The chapter-title is at the top of the page, in uncials.) It's also a new Eusebian Section. The person who wrote the section-numbers seems to have had a hard time keeping track of the Eusebian Section-numbers; on Image 1630 he accidentally wrote "221" where he should have written "220" (beside 21:45), and alongside 22:15, he apparently wrote "222" (although he had just written 222 on the previous page, alongside 22:11), but then fixed it by writing a "3" (gamma) over the "2" (beta).

        In 22:14, 652 does not have either "oi." The NA apparatus doesn't have enough variants listed in verses 15-18 to justify making a call about exactly where the text shifts to Caesarean. But probably Champlin based his conclusion on more detailed data from Lake.

        Over in Mark, looking at Image 2320, Mk. 4:21 reads just like the TR. In 4:22, "ti" is absent before "krupton," and "o" is absent after "krupton." That's the Family Pi reading.

        In 6:22, 652 has "and I will give you whatever you desire," instead of "whatever you desire, I will give you" – kai dwsw soi o ean me aithshs." Slashes above the phrases (// above kai and then / above o) probably were added with the intention that they would be understood to mean "transpose these phrases.") That, too, is the Family Pi reading.

        In 6:24, 652 has "kai" instead of the second "h de." This disagrees with the Family Pi reading.

        So, I would say that there is some wiggle-room, but as approximations, the references given seen adequate.