Infos on NA-28

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11, 2012

      The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:

      Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview

      --------------------------

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

      Textcritical commentary:

      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

    • Roger
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2012
        Greetings,

        I was wondering if anyone knows how the text of Nestle-Aland's 28th edition of Novum Testamentum Graece compares with NA27 and the Novum Testamentum Graecum, Editio Critica Maior? I primarily use NA27, but I am unfamiliar with the details of the NA28 or the new Editio Critica Maior. Are the texts and critical apparatus' the same between them? Do either NA28 or ECM mention where (and in which MSS, et al.) the nomina sacra are and are not used?

        Thanks!

        - Roger

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
          On NA28:
          ... Critical apparatus revised and easier to use . Papyrii 117-127 included for the first time . In-depth revision of the Catholic Epistles, with more than 30 changes to the upper text. Scripture references systematically reviewed for accuracy. ...
          From:
          http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

          Teunis van Lopik

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 14, 2012
            Teunis,

            Thanks for the link. I already ordered a copy of NA28 from Amazon.ca (which mentions that it includes P117-P127), but I remain uncertain as to how it compares with the text of the Novum Testamentum Graecum, Editio Critica Maior, and whether one or the other (or both or neither) mention the nomina sacra in the critical apparatus, etc. Does anyone know if it also includes Majuscules 0307-0320, Miniscules 2857-2903, and Lectionaries l 2404-l 2445? I saw a sample page on http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-discussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html, so I am also aware that the apparatus has been revised / simplified--- which is good. Also, if the text of the NA28 differs from the NTG-ECM, does anyone know if / when the entire NT text (with critical apparatus) will be released as a single volume (like the NA28 / UBS4 / W&H / etc.)?

            Thanks!

            - Roger

            From:

            title="http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc CTRL + Click to follow link" href="http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc">http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc

            href="http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie">http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

            > Textcritical commentary:

            href="http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/">http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

          • Mike Holmes

              From:
              http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

              Teunis van Lopik

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

              > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
              >

              > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
              > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
              > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
              >

              > Best wishes
              >
              > Wieland
              >
              > <><
              >
              > --------------------------
              >
              > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
              >
              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              >
              > Textcritical commentary:
              >
              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

            • Tommy Wasserman

                From:
                http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

                Teunis van Lopik

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
                >

                > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
                > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
                > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
                >

                > Best wishes
                >
                > Wieland
                >
                > <><
                >
                > --------------------------
                >
                > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                >
                > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                >
                > Textcritical commentary:
                >
                > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

              • Jake

                  From:

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 16, 2012
                    Dear Jake,

                    this may be helpful:

                    The information from that presentation is a bit outdated. For example, a special project under Martin Karrer in Wuppertal is working on Revelation, so that part can be expected much earlier I assume.

                    Best,

                    Tommy Wasserman

                    From:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

                    Teunis van Lopik

                    --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                    > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
                    >

                    > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
                    > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
                    > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
                    >

                    > Best wishes
                    >
                    > Wieland
                    >
                    > <><
                    >
                    > --------------------------
                    >
                    > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                    >
                    > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                    >
                    > Textcritical commentary:
                    >
                    > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                    =
                  • Roger
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 16, 2012
                      Mike Holmes,

                      Thank you for taking a moment to your insight on this matter. Would I be correct in understanding that by the ECM Catholic Letters you mean the ECM IV, which does not yet use the Coherence-based Genealogical Method (CBGM) that Gerd Mink discusses in his 2008 introductory presentation (http://www.uni-muenster.de/INTF/cbgm_presentation/)? Regardless, it will be interesting to compare the Catholic Letters section of the NA27 with the NA28!
                      Also, do you know whether or not John and Acts for the ECM will use the CBGM, and if they will republish the Catholic Letters using this method? Sorry, I am uncertain if this has already been done or if this is intended in the near future. I find the ECM project interesting. I am excited, uncertain and curious as to what the resulting text will look like, and if the recently developed CBGM will prove to be a better method for textual criticism in the long run. What are your thoughts?

                      Thank you!

                      - Roger

                      From:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 16, 2012
                        Tommy Wasserman,

                        Thank you also for your insight. I also noticed that there is a second revised edition of the Catholic Letters (NGT-ECM) in two volumes, which is due out in December 2012 (about the same time as the NA28). If the 'Catholic Letters' section of the NA28 is based on the ECM, then I hope that it will use the text from the second revised edition. Also, it would be interesting if this revision uses the Coherence-based Genealogical Method (CBGM)--- which is a different method from what was used in NA27 / UBS4. Regardless, it will also be interesting to see what the differences are between the NA27 and NA28 in the Catholic Letters section, and how it will affect forthcoming translations / updates that use the NA28.

                        - Roger

                        From:

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 17, 2012
                          Roger,

                          >I also noticed that there is a second
                          revised edition of the Catholic Letters (NGT-ECM) in two volumes, which is due out in December 2012 (about the same time as the NA28). If the 'Catholic Letters' section of the NA28 is based on the ECM, then I hope that it will use the text from the second revised edition.

                          This was actually the point I tried to make. Yes NA28 willl follow the 2d ed. of ECM.

                          >Also, it would be interesting if this revision uses the Coherence-based Genealogical Method (CBGM)---

                          Yes, in the Catholic Letters since this method is used for the ECM.

                          Tommy

                          From:

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 27, 2012
                            Tommy,

                            Thank you for clarifying! I appreciate it, and I look forward to seeing what they have done with it in further detail. Based on the examples provided on their website (http://www.nestle-aland.com/), the NA28 critical apparatus does not seem to mention when and where the sacra nomina appears in manuscript evidence--- which answers one of my other questions about this text. Perhaps the next edition will?

                            - Roger

                            Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:10 AM

                            Roger,

                            From:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

                            Teunis van Lopik

                            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                            > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
                            >

                            > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
                            > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
                            > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
                            >

                            > Best wishes
                            >
                            > Wieland
                            >
                            > <><
                            >
                            > --------------------------
                            >
                            > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                            >
                            > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                            >
                            > Textcritical commentary:
                            >
                            > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                            =

                          • Matthew Burgess
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 27, 2012
                              Hi Roger,

                              The Center for the New Testament Textual Studies (CNTTS) apparatus includes many occurrences of the nomina sacra among its readings.  It's available in electronic form in multiple Bible software packages, including Accordance and BibleWorks.  The Accordance version is fully searchable; I would assume that the same is true of the BibleWorks version.

                              Matt

                              ----------
                              Matthew Burgess, MAR
                              Department of Religious Studies, University of Virginia
                              Box 400126
                              Charlottesville, VA 22904

                              Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:10 AM

                              Roger,

                              From:
                              http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

                              Teunis van Lopik

                              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                              > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
                              >

                              > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
                              > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
                              > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
                              >

                              > Best wishes
                              >
                              > Wieland
                              >
                              > <><
                              >
                              > --------------------------
                              >
                              > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                              >
                              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                              >
                              > Textcritical commentary:
                              >
                              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                              =

                            • hendi wijaya
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 27, 2012
                                Dear All,

                                How about we try: sblgnt.com. The free and reliable version to us.

                                Regards,
                                Hendi

                                Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:10 AM

                                Roger,

                                From:

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 28, 2012
                                  Good evening Hendi,

                                  Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a copy of the SBL Greek New Testament in my digital library (Logos), but you are correct--- the SBL-GNT is available online (as are numerous other Greek New Testaments, free of charge), which is extremely useful when you're away from your home library. (Granted, Logos gives its users the ability to examine, search, etc. any book in their digital library from any computer--- which is also quite useful!)

                                  - Roger

                                  Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 3:10 AM

                                  Roger,

                                  From:
                                  http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Graece-Iinstitute-Textual-Research/dp/1619700301/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

                                  Teunis van Lopik

                                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...> wrote:

                                  > The German Bible Society is about to release the new Nestle-Aland:
                                  >

                                  > Nestle-Aland 28. edition Preview
                                  > <http://tcg.iphpbb3.com/forum/64774768nx21631/textual-criticism-general-disc
                                  > ussion-f18/nestle-aland-28-edition-preview-t262.html>
                                  >

                                  > Best wishes
                                  >
                                  > Wieland
                                  >
                                  > <><
                                  >
                                  > --------------------------
                                  >
                                  > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                                  >
                                  > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                                  >
                                  > Textcritical commentary:
                                  >
                                  > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                                  =

                                • Barry
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 29, 2012
                                    On 8/29/2012 1:12 AM, Roger wrote:
                                    > Good evening Hendi,
                                    > Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a copy of the SBL Greek New
                                    > Testament in my digital library (Logos), but you are correct--- the
                                    > SBL-GNT is available online (as are numerous other Greek New Testaments,
                                    > free of charge), which is extremely useful when you're away from your
                                    > home library. (Granted, Logos gives its users the ability to examine,
                                    > search, etc. any book in their digital library from any computer---
                                    > which is also quite useful!)

                                    Actually, I got my SBLGNT free through Logos. It's not well known, but
                                    the core program for Logos is free for the download, and they do have
                                    some free materials, such as the Perseus classical collection.

                                    --
                                    N.E. Barry Hofstetter
                                    Semper melius Latine sonat