Re: [textualcriticism] General Question: Synaxarion

  • James Miller
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2012
      Kevin:

      The terminology in question has differing referents depending on whether it is used within the context of NT studies, on the one hand, or Eastern Orthodox worship/praxis, on the other. Your definition holds for the latter, but in the area of NT studies "Synaxarion" connotes a type of Gospel lectionary manuscript. Surprisingly, the term "menologion" likewise has quite different meanings in the realms of NT studies and Eastern Orthodox worship/praxis, respectively.

      If you look in the archives of this list, you'll see that some years ago I posted an inquiry about this very topic: I was surprised and a bit taken aback at that time to learn of this NT-studies use of the terms in question.

      James

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2012
        David Parker in his "Introduction ...", p. 56:
        ""... the Orthodox lectionary. The sequences are two: the synaxarion (which follows the Church's year, beginning at Easter) and the menologion (which follows the civil calendar of the Byzantine Empire and starts on 1 September).""
        This is common sense in NT textual criticism. See the literature on p. 57.
        So did Gregory and many others before and next.

        Teunis van Lopik

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, James Miller <jamtata@...> wrote:

        > Kevin:
        >
        > The terminology in question has differing referents depending on whether it is used within the context of NT studies, on the one hand, or Eastern Orthodox worship/praxis, on the other. Your definition holds for the latter, but in the area of NT studies "Synaxarion" connotes a type of Gospel lectionary manuscript. Surprisingly, the term "menologion" likewise has quite different meanings in the realms of NT studies and Eastern Orthodox worship/praxis, respectively.
        >
        > If you look in the archives of this list, you'll see that some years ago I posted an inquiry about this very topic: I was surprised and a bit taken aback at that time to learn of this NT-studies use of the terms in question.
        >
        > James

      • robert robinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2012
          "If a N.T. manuscript contains the complete, continuous text  of only the four Gospels, it is usually called an Evangelion, Tetraevangelion or Evangelistarion. More specifically, the Evangelion is an anthology of passages from the four Gospels, which the priest reads in church, while the Evangelistarion contains the continuous text.
          If the book contains only the Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles and Revelation it is called a Praxapostolos or Apostolos. More specifically, the Apostolos contains lectionary selections from Acts and the twenty one Epistles." Dr. Constantine Siamakis, 'Transmission of the text of the Holy Bible.' 28-34.

          Here's what I suspect will be an easy question for somebody: what is the technical term for a list of lections from the Gospels in which only the incipit and explicit (the opening and closing phrases) of the passages are given?

          Manuscript 652 has this sort of list (written in a sort of late uncial or semi-uncial handwriting) in its opening pages, after the Eusebian Sections and before the chapter-list for Matthew. (On page 18/Image 370 there's a margin-note that seems to refer to the feast-day for Gregory the Wonder-worker.) (The Heothina-list begins on Image 460.) Should it be called a "lection-table," "lection-list," "Synaxarion-list," "Synaxarion-table," or is there some other term for it (when only readings from the Gospels are in view)?

        • Vox Verax
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 13, 2012
            So far it looks like there is no term for the list of daily readings tha presents only the first and last phrases for each lection for each day. Any objections if we call it a Lection-Calendar (or, Lection-Calendar plus the Eleven Heothina)?

          • jonathancborland
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14, 2012
              Jim,

              I misread your question. How about the "Lectionary incipit and explicit"?

              Sincerely,

              Jonathan

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Vox Verax" <james.snapp@...> wrote:

              > So far it looks like there is no term for the list of daily readings tha presents only the first and last phrases for each lection for each day. Any objections if we call it a Lection-Calendar (or, Lection-Calendar plus the Eleven Heothina)?
              >
              > Yours in Christ,
              >
              > James Snapp, Jr.

            • Vox Verax
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
                Jonathan,

                That might work -- but I think "Lection-Calendar" works better, since the list includes the dates for each lection. Also, "Lectionary incipit and explicit" might cause confusion between the incipit-phrases (special introductory phrases to begin the lection in the church-service) and the opening phrases of the lections as they exist in the continuous-text MS.

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "jonathancborland" <nihao@...> wrote:

                > Jim,
                >
                > I misread your question. How about the "Lectionary incipit and explicit"?
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Jonathan
              • spuluka
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Vox Verax" <james.snapp@...> wrote:

                  > Jonathan,
                  >
                  > That might work -- but I think "Lection-Calendar" works better, since the list includes the dates for each lection.

                  In modern publications for liturgical reference such lists are labeled simply "Lectionary". If you want to qualify the work for this purpose I would use "Lectionary List".

                  Of course we now have the benefit of chapter and verse designations that make the listing simpler. But there are still occasions where one has to say things like "first half" or "second half" of a verse to correctly designate the open or close of a pericope.

                  I don't like using calendar because in liturgical usage this tends to imply only the fixed cycle of the menaion. But perhaps your this list does only include such dates and nothing from the Paschal based cycle.

                  Steve Puluka
                  MA, Theology Duquesne University
                  Cantor Holy Ghost Church
                  Carpatho-Rusyn tradition
                  Mckees Rocks, PA
                  http://puluka.com
                • TeunisV
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 15, 2012
                    Again: Gregory:
                    http://www.archive.org/stream/p1novumtestamentum03tiscuoft#page/162/mode/2up
                    Also p. 343.
                    So: "lectionary tables" (tabulae) for the moveable and fixed year.
                    In lists of syn and men can be references to Eusebian canones, to anagnosmata numerata (Gregory: anagn.) and to more: to incipits/explicits, for example.

                    Om ms 652:
                    http://www.archive.org/stream/novumtestamentu00abbogoog#page/n132/mode/2up

                    Teunis van Lopik