[textualcriticism] contact directory for apparatus updates of the early church writers

  • Steven Avery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      Hi,

      I am wondering if there could be a master repository of apparatus improvement contacts.  This would include address and dates of entry and planned publication,  and methods of submission.  All helpful and pertinent information.

      This would be especially helpful in regards to the early church writers, which are often the weakest part of the apparatus. Not just the subjectivity that is often involved in evaluation, but entries often are simply missing or misplaced. The Bible public should, hopefully, be welcomed in helping to make proper corrections.

      This would be especially critical for editions of NA and UBS, since their apparatuses are often used as a base by others, and few of their initial entries are checked by .. anybody else.

      The only apparatus I know that has a responsiveness to research these references is Richard Wilson and LaParola, online. Which will often update entries in a timely fashion when, after checking,  there is a legitimate update or correction.   However, NA and UBS tend to act as a base, so their updates are really the key for others.

      In addition, why could there not be a project, at least on the super-significant variants (say the top 50 or 100) to actually document the locations and texts of the entries. I'm not sure who would do such a project, but it surely would be fascinating.  Maybe UBS and NA start the ball rolling by having the locations listed in an appendix.  Granted, I think the reason it is not done is that, .. if done for every variant .. it would be a lot of new work.

      This is why I suggest a more limited attempt.  If something like this already exists (apparatus-ECW x-ref to sources like Migne, even better with Greek, Latin or Syriac and English translation) that would be fine, please simply point to the locale.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery
      Queens, NY