Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Why are there brackets in the NA27 text of 1 Cor 10:20?

  • Dirk Jongkind
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2012
      Thanks for the clarifications. Frankly, before posting I had only checked the Latin explanation of the critical signs at the back of my NA27 (easier to access than the Intro), which I read as suggesting that brackets indicated that the 'presence of' the enclosed words in the NT text could be questioned. I shouldn't have filled in the blanks.

      [ ] ita includuntur verba etc, quae num de textu N.i T.i sint dubitari potest

      Thanks, all helpful.

      Dirk

      ... I must agree with Jan that the brackets are 'unhappy' in this place, for in nearly all instances they indicate omission/interpolation (not word order) and this inconsistency was surely the cause of the initial question by Mr. Jongkind.