Non-theological starting for TC

  • apensity
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
      Hello all, I have been following on and off for the past few years and have really become interested in developing my understanding of TC and the history of the Bible. I have a Masters in Psychology and a career as a Commercial Lender, so you can see my background does not lend to even beginning to understand the majority of conversations within this group. However, one of my biggest joys in life is understanding history and how civilizations have developed. The Bible and Christianity are some of the largest influencers within the past 2000+ years, therefor I have tried to develop my knowledge of them for personal curiosity.

      My background has began with (as I am sure, most new people into this subject) Bart Ehrman's books. I do not know how they are held in this community, but that is my background thus far. What I am currently looking for are books relating to TC at a beginning level if Dr. Ehrman's books are not enough. Then, possibly a next step into learning more. I am not speaking about becoming an expert in TC, so no need for me to learn Latin, Greek, Hebrew, etc. However, i would love to learn more about the beginnings of the Bible, TC and other areas which are being studied PURELY FROM A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE, meaning no theological bias, just an unbiased view of how the books were created.

      Thank you for any help and I look forward to learning more as I develop my interests.
    • Vox Verax
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2012
        Hi,

        I recommend that you read the 1902 St. Margaret Lectures. You can download the book from Google Books for free; the lectures that are most relevant for NT textual criticism are included in "Assorted Essays on New Testament Textual Criticism," which can be purchased cheap at Amazon for the Kindle reading device (or if you cannot afford that, just write and ask me for a copy).

        Links to other resources you may find useful can be found at the Online Library of New Testament Textual Criticism at
        http://www.curtisvillechristianchurch.org/public/NTTCLibrary.html . Notice, in particular, Kirsopp Lake's little green "Text of the New Testament," and, at the bottom of the bookshelves, Wilbur Pickering's "Identity of the NT Text (II)." These are two books by two writers from different eras, with very different theological positions, and with very different conclusions.

        I would also add a word of caution that in Dr. Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus" (at least in the early copy I have -- who knows what the original really said), there seems to be a recurring misleading tint in his descriptions of the evidence. Do not confuse that book with an objective introduction to the subject. I express some concerns about "Misquoting Jesus" in a two-part analytical review at
        http://www.curtisvillechristianchurch.org/public/Misquoting.html and at http://www.curtisvillechristianchurch.org/public/MisquotingTwo.html .

      • Jamin Hubner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2012
          For what it's worth, I'm not sure you'll have any luck finding any material from a "purely" historical perspective that presents a purely "unbiased" view. Obviously, the Christian who believes the NT manuscripts are the Word of God will have a bias, and the person who does not believe the NT manuscripts are the Word of God, will have a bias. I really don't see how you can be neutral on the matter. In fact, it is probably worse going into any field thinking such religious neutrality is possible, since it blinds us from our own presuppositions, whether atheistic, agnostic, Christian, or otherwise. And this is true especially for history - where we cannot be exhaustive and are forced to be selective - thus requiring us to formulate a somewhat subjective criteria for what's worth inclusion in our narrative and what isn't.
          In any case, I've found Wegner's A Student's Guide to Textual Criticism and the Alands' The Text of the New Testament very helpful introductions.

          Jamin HΓΌbner

          John Witherspoon College, Black Hills, SD
        • clearbrush
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2012

            Greetings all,

            I would like to start a group focusing on this very concept.

            If any would be interested in joining and giving startup input, please email me at

            clearbrush@...

            George Eller

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "apensity" <myyahoo@...> wrote:

            > Hello all, I have been following on and off for the past few years and have really become interested in developing my understanding of TC and the history of the Bible. I have a Masters in Psychology and a career as a Commercial Lender, so you can see my background does not lend to even beginning to understand the majority of conversations within this group. However, one of my biggest joys in life is understanding history and how civilizations have developed. The Bible and Christianity are some of the largest influencers within the past 2000+ years, therefor I have tried to develop my knowledge of them for personal curiosity.
            >
            > My background has began with (as I am sure, most new people into this subject) Bart Ehrman's books. I do not know how they are held in this community, but that is my background thus far. What I am currently looking for are books relating to TC at a beginning level if Dr. Ehrman's books are not enough. Then, possibly a next step into learning more. I am not speaking about becoming an expert in TC, so no need for me to learn Latin, Greek, Hebrew, etc. However, i would love to learn more about the beginnings of the Bible, TC and other areas which are being studied PURELY FROM A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE, meaning no theological bias, just an unbiased view of how the books were created.
            >
            > Thank you for any help and I look forward to learning more as I develop my interests.

          • Larry Swain
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2012
              I've only partially followed this thread, but didn't see the following materials mentioned, which do talk about textual criticism from a non-theological point of view, though little of it directly Biblical.

              Classical, Biblical, and Medieval Textual Criticism and Modern Editing

              G. Thomas Tanselle
              Studies in Bibliography
              Vol. 36, (1983), pp. 21-68  (actually pretty much anything by Tanselle)

              Reynolds and Wilson, Scribes and Scholars
              D. C. Greetham, Textual Editing (see Tanselle)
              Paul Maas, Textual Criticism
              E. Kelemen, Textual Editing and Criticism (Norton Publ. 2008)
              M. L. West, Textual Criticism and Editorial Technique: applicable to Greek and Latin texts (Stuttgart 1973).

              --
              Larry Swain