How did B. H. Streeter die?

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
      I was just reading C. S. C. Williams's "Alterations to the Text of the Synoptic Gospels and Acts" and saw this parenthetical comment: "as appeared from a conversation with B. H. Streeter shortly before he was killed..." (p. 7).

      Does anyone know more about how he died? It seemed like an odd comment to make in passing and I can't find any more about it online.

      Thanks,

      Peter
    • Stephen Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
        If I recall correctly, Streeter died in a plane crash in Switzerland in 1937.

        Checking the intertubes... Yes, here's a newspaper mention of it in passing:

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson
        Ph.D., Duke University
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
          Here's a snippet -

          ""The death of Canon Burnett Hillman Streeter in an aeroplane disaster in Switzerland on September 10th robbed the Church of..."

          Library Association Record, volume 39 no. 10 (October 1937)

          Ross Caldwell

          > To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
          > From: uspatriot@...
          > Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 13:39:47 +0000
          > Subject: [textualcriticism] How did B. H. Streeter die?
          >
          > I was just reading C. S. C. Williams's "Alterations to the Text of the Synoptic Gospels and Acts" and saw this parenthetical comment: "as appeared from a conversation with B. H. Streeter shortly before he was killed..." (p. 7).
          >
          > Does anyone know more about how he died? It seemed like an odd comment to make in passing and I can't find any more about it online.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Peter

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > textualcriticism-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > textualcriticism-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
            Yes, he died in a plane crash:

            Mark

            --
            Mark Goodacre
            Duke University

            http://www.markgoodacre.org

          • Kevin W. Woodruff
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 50 KB
            Peter:

            Streeter and his wife were the only passengers on a Koolhoven FK.50, HB-AMO which crashed into Mount Kelleköpfli  on a flight from Basel to Bern on September 10, 1937. The crew started the descent to Basel in low visibility due to foggy conditions. The plane hit Mount Kelleköpfli located near Waldenburg, 25 kilometers southeast from the Basel airport. The pilot Walter Eberschweiler and the Streeters were killed immediately, while the radio operator/navigator Hans Huggler survived the accident but was severely wounded. The aircraft had to be written off..I've attached a picture of the plane.

            Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
            Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm