Re: Deuteronomy 32:8 - according to the number of the children of Israel.

  • rslocc
    Message 1 of 40 , May 6 11:10 AM
      The external evidence is an absolute landslide here. Why one would risk their "good" reputation on account of the testimony of one Dead Sea Scroll manuscript is beyond me. I would reconsider taking that bet? It is a longshot built upon a foundation of guesswork and conjecture, unwarranted conjecture at that. All Hebrew manuscripts save one (4Q37) read "sons of Israel", the Targums follow suit (as Mr. Avery has pointed out). The Samaritan Pent., some LXX mss., the Syriac and the Vulgate of Jerome all support the traditional reading. Against this mountain of evidence we have one Heb. manuscript and "Some texts of the Greek Version" (F.C. Cook comm.). Taking to mind the obvious fact that the LXX is saturated with omissions, interpolations, scribal errors and the like. This variant should have never have been given quarter past the margin of a hyper critical edition of the Torah. How the NRSV, NLT, MSG, ESV, etc. have put this one over on the general public is almost dishonest.

      The internal evidence in no way changes this. The context and subject of the section (Deut.32) is "Israel" and God's plan concerning them. Not the angelic host! God had Israel in mind when he "divided to the nations their inheritance". "Now the LORD had said to Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation" And again..."he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them: and they shall afflict them four hundred years...But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full."
      -M.M.R.

      "The presence of God is to me more than all the learned world"-Bengel
    • Dave Washburn
      Message 40 of 40 , May 12 7:46 AM
        No problem. The dual cataloging system for the DSS is absurdly confusing to everybody, probably including the good folks who devised it.

        Dave Washburn
        http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
        Check out my review show, No Life With Irving

        To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
        From: bucksburg@...
        Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:32:49 -0700
        Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Re: 4Q37 and "sons of God"

        Apparently 4Q37 was the 37th mss recovered from Cave 4, now cataloged as 4QDeut-j, and conflated by none other than yours truly as 4QDeut37. So we can remove that ID number from the list right off! and are back to two DSS mss that contain the phrase in question.