Re: [textualcriticism] Textual Criticism and the Qura'n, any one need it?

  • Claire Clivaz
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2012
      Dear all,

      The topic is at the evidence growing up in interest. We can think also to the team of Juan P. Monferrer-Sala in Cordua (Spain).
      Here are some recent bibliographical references.

      An international meeting on the topic would be welcome!

      Best,

      Claire Clivaz

      Kashouh, H., The Arabic Versions of the Gospels. The Manuscripts and their Families (Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen Textforschung 42), De Gruyter, Berlin, 2012.
      Nasr, J. I., Une traduction arabe de l’Evangile de Luc (Patrimoine arabe chrétien 26), CEDRAC, Beyrouth, 2011.
      Schulthess, S., ««Die arabischen Handschriften des Neuen Testaments in der zeitgenössischen Forschung: ein Überblick», Early Christianity 4 (2012), forthcoming.
      Urbán Fernández, A., Monferrer-Sala, J. P., « Some Regards on Textual Criticism in a Greek-Arabic Ms. BnF Suppl. grec 911 (A.D.1043) », dans Parole de l’Orient 30, 2005, p. 79-102
      Urbán Fernández, A., « An Unpublished Graeco-Arabic Ms. of Luke’s Gospel (BnF, suppl. Grec 911) from the 11th Century », in Sala, J.P.M., Eastern Crossroads: Essays on Medieval Christian Legacy, Gorgias Press LLC, 2007, p. 83-95.

    • Daniel Buck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012

        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz@...>

[...]

        Textual criticism of the Qur'an has no more to do with textual criticism of the Arabic gospels than TC of Homer does with TC of the NT.

        Daniel Buck
      • Tommy Wasserman
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
          Daniel,

          Keith Small, which I mentioned in my original reply, does work specifically with the Qura'n. Moreover, there is an overlap in working with ancient Arabic MSS, and, moreover, as you may guess, the number of people working on textual criticism and the Qura'n is not great, and there is much insight to gain from the discipline of New Testament textual criticism (a point made by Keith Small in his published dissertation).

          Best

          Tommy Wasserman
        • Claire Clivaz
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
            Dear Tommy,

            I totally agree with you.

            I would like to mention here also the great work by Cornelia Horn, on ancient Christian Literature and Quran, for example:

            Horn, Cornelia B., «Qur'ānic Perspectives on Jesus' Death and the Apocryphal Acts of John», dans : Gelitten - Gestorben - Auferstanden. Passions- und Ostertraditionen im antiken Christentum  (WUNT.2 273), Nicklas, Tobias - Merkt, Andreas - Verheyden, Joseph (éds),  Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, 2010, p. 143-164.

            Horn, Cornelia B., «Intersections: The Reception History of the Protoevangelium of James in Sources from the Christian East and in the Qu'rān», Apocrypha  17 (2006), p. 113-150.

            At another level, as Western scholars, I think that it is our «duty» to be in contact with non Western scholars who wish to study critically their own tradition. A new Enlightement period is necessary, at the evidence, beyond Western and non Western scholarly boundaries.

            And dear Daniel, yes, Homer can sometimes be useful for NTTC, as well as all the ancient Greek literature. For example, a passage by Aelius Aristides was decisive in my inquiry on «agonia» in Lk 22,43-44.

            As we know, our most ancient NT manuscripts date from the end of the second century, for the best. That means, they are inscribed in a history of reading. And that is a great opportunity, if we can consider the Christian heritage as a long and living story.

            Claire Clivaz