Re: [textualcriticism] Textual Criticism and the Qura'n, any one need it?

  • Claire Clivaz
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2012
      Dear Molka,

      Thank you so much for your message.

      It is of course very important and interesting. For my part, I have a PhD student working on the Arabic manuscripts of the New Testament.

      Common issues and topics are at the crossroads of yours and ours. We are presenting a lecture on that topic in Amsterdam in July (SBL international meeting). If you are interested to develop contacts with us, please do not hesitate to contact me!

      Claire Clivaz
      Prof. in New Testament and Early Christian Literature
      claire. clivaz@...

      Le 11 avr. 2012 à 18:18, "molka@..." <molka@...> a écrit :

      I'm Molka Molkan from Egypt, I speak Arabic as the first language, I studied TC of Qura'nic mms. and in general TC of Qur'an Because my Arabic Language, I've a big number of topics and issues, any one here need this kind of topics?

      Sincerely,

      Molka Molkan,

    • Tommy Wasserman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2012
        Dear Sir,

        I know of two scholars working in this area: Hikmat Kachouh (Lebanon, did his PhD in Birmingham) and Keith Small (London, did his PhD at Centre for Islamic Studies, London School of Theology).

        Best,

        Tommy Wasserman

        11 apr 2012 kl. 23.00 skrev Claire Clivaz:

        Molka Molkan,

      • Claire Clivaz
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2012
          Dear all,

          The topic is at the evidence growing up in interest. We can think also to the team of Juan P. Monferrer-Sala in Cordua (Spain).
          Here are some recent bibliographical references.

          An international meeting on the topic would be welcome!

          Best,

          Claire Clivaz

          Kashouh, H., The Arabic Versions of the Gospels. The Manuscripts and their Families (Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen Textforschung 42), De Gruyter, Berlin, 2012.
          Nasr, J. I., Une traduction arabe de l’Evangile de Luc (Patrimoine arabe chrétien 26), CEDRAC, Beyrouth, 2011.
          Schulthess, S., ««Die arabischen Handschriften des Neuen Testaments in der zeitgenössischen Forschung: ein Überblick», Early Christianity 4 (2012), forthcoming.
          Urbán Fernández, A., Monferrer-Sala, J. P., « Some Regards on Textual Criticism in a Greek-Arabic Ms. BnF Suppl. grec 911 (A.D.1043) », dans Parole de l’Orient 30, 2005, p. 79-102
          Urbán Fernández, A., « An Unpublished Graeco-Arabic Ms. of Luke’s Gospel (BnF, suppl. Grec 911) from the 11th Century », in Sala, J.P.M., Eastern Crossroads: Essays on Medieval Christian Legacy, Gorgias Press LLC, 2007, p. 83-95.

        • Daniel Buck
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012

            From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz@...>

[...]

            Textual criticism of the Qur'an has no more to do with textual criticism of the Arabic gospels than TC of Homer does with TC of the NT.

            Daniel Buck
          • Tommy Wasserman
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
              Daniel,

              Keith Small, which I mentioned in my original reply, does work specifically with the Qura'n. Moreover, there is an overlap in working with ancient Arabic MSS, and, moreover, as you may guess, the number of people working on textual criticism and the Qura'n is not great, and there is much insight to gain from the discipline of New Testament textual criticism (a point made by Keith Small in his published dissertation).

              Best

              Tommy Wasserman
            • Claire Clivaz
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
                Dear Tommy,

                I totally agree with you.

                I would like to mention here also the great work by Cornelia Horn, on ancient Christian Literature and Quran, for example:

                Horn, Cornelia B., «Qur'ānic Perspectives on Jesus' Death and the Apocryphal Acts of John», dans : Gelitten - Gestorben - Auferstanden. Passions- und Ostertraditionen im antiken Christentum  (WUNT.2 273), Nicklas, Tobias - Merkt, Andreas - Verheyden, Joseph (éds),  Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, 2010, p. 143-164.

                Horn, Cornelia B., «Intersections: The Reception History of the Protoevangelium of James in Sources from the Christian East and in the Qu'rān», Apocrypha  17 (2006), p. 113-150.

                At another level, as Western scholars, I think that it is our «duty» to be in contact with non Western scholars who wish to study critically their own tradition. A new Enlightement period is necessary, at the evidence, beyond Western and non Western scholarly boundaries.

                And dear Daniel, yes, Homer can sometimes be useful for NTTC, as well as all the ancient Greek literature. For example, a passage by Aelius Aristides was decisive in my inquiry on «agonia» in Lk 22,43-44.

                As we know, our most ancient NT manuscripts date from the end of the second century, for the best. That means, they are inscribed in a history of reading. And that is a great opportunity, if we can consider the Christian heritage as a long and living story.

                Claire Clivaz