Nestle-Aland 23

  • Danger
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2012
      Dear Colleagues,

      I have just "inherited" a copy of the TWENTY-THIRD edition of Nestle-Aland's Novum Testamentum Graece.

      It's quite an interesting little book. I regularly use Nestle-Aland 27 and UBS 4, but have never encountered an edition this early.

      1.) Can anyone tell me anything about how it compares with the more recent editions? (Most information I can find seems not to include this edition.)

      Of course, I can readily see the relative paucity of witnesses cited in the apparatus, compared to more recent volumes.

      2.) I am inclined to assume that I will find little cause to consult this volume, given the recent scholarship evident in the newer revisions. However, I do not cease to be surprised at what some of these older books contain. Does anyone know of "hidden gems" or other interesting features in this edition?

      In any event, the small size of this volume makes it fit perfectly in my coat pocket. I think it will make a nice New Testament for the daily commute, etc.

      Sincerely,

      Chris Lovelace
    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        Chris Lovelace,

        Try looking up the Non-Western Interpolations in it.

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Danger" <sigebryht@...> wrote:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > I have just "inherited" a copy of the TWENTY-THIRD edition of Nestle-Aland's Novum Testamentum Graece.
        >
        > It's quite an interesting little book. I regularly use Nestle-Aland 27 and UBS 4, but have never encountered an edition this early.
        >
        > 1.) Can anyone tell me anything about how it compares with the more recent editions? (Most information I can find seems not to include this edition.)
        >
        > Of course, I can readily see the relative paucity of witnesses cited in the apparatus, compared to more recent volumes.
        >
        > 2.) I am inclined to assume that I will find little cause to consult this volume, given the recent scholarship evident in the newer revisions. However, I do not cease to be surprised at what some of these older books contain. Does anyone know of "hidden gems" or other interesting features in this edition?
        >
        > In any event, the small size of this volume makes it fit perfectly in my coat pocket. I think it will make a nice New Testament for the daily commute, etc.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Chris Lovelace

      • C L
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
          Dear James,

          Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at some sample passages. Wikipedia, of all things, has a page on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_non-interpolations.

          Any additions you might care to recommend?

          Best,

          Chris