  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 10:44 PM
      Please pass along to any and all interested parties and forgive
      duplications:

      Hello all,

      I am pleased to off the two courses listed below this summer online.
      There are both undergraduate and graduate options. If you are not a
      Bemidji State University student, directions on admission can be found
      here: http://www.bemidjistate.edu/academics/distance/admissions/ The
      ability to use basic software is required, and much will be delivered
      through D2L, a Blackboard like software that the student will be able to
      access once enrolled for the class. I’m looking forward to see some of
      you there!

      ENGL 3930/5930
      Intensive Latin Online
      Dr. Larry Swain
      Bemidji State University

      Course Description: This course is an intensive introduction to Latin,
      covering in eight weeks a full academic year’s worth of the language.
      This will require a lot of work and dedication on the part of both
      instructor and student. By the end, however, the student should be able
      to read Latin prose with the aid of a grammar and a good dictionary or
      lexicon. There will be a great deal of memorization. Via our online
      tools, discussion board, online office hours, recorded lectures, live
      lectures, exercise sharing and corrections, and Q&A sessions delivered
      via D2L, power point presentations, and other tools, we will go through
      the entire text and master basic Latin.

      The course will require a commitment from the student. A MINIMUM of 2
      hours and preferably 4-6 hours a day will need to be spent working on
      the exercises, in class, interacting with the professor etc. Because
      delivery is online rather than in a traditional classroom, the need for
      each individual student to apply him- or herself diligently daily is
      even more important than in a face-to-face class. Four days a week we
      will meet virtually to explain the grammar lesson, to do some in class
      exercises, to correct exercises, and so on, for approximately two hours.
      The rest of your time will be spent working on exercises, translating
      sample passages of actual Latin, memorizing the forms.

      Texts:
      Intensive Latin by Floyd Moreland and Rita Fleischer
      Other materials as assigned
      (I will have advice about students’ dictionaries, additional grammar
      aids in print and online and so on as well throughout the course).

      Highly Recommended: English Grammar for Students of Latin: The Study
      Guide for Those Learning Latin by Norma Goldman and Ladislas Szymanski

      English 3390/5390: Intensive Old English
      Summer 2012
      Dr. Larry J. Swain
      Bemidji State University

      This seminar is intended to accomplish three related objectives: 1) to
      learn to read Old English and translate texts in Old English with
      relative ease 2) to have an overview of Anglo-Saxon Literature and 3) to
      place the language and literature into the historical, cultural,
      theological, intellectual, and material contexts. That's a tall order.
      But like those we read who endure heroically, so shall we: we will be
      able to by semester's end read Old English literature in Old English,
      both prose and poetry. The approach is simple. This is an intensive
      course, a full 15 week course offered over less than 8 weeks in Summer
      delivered over D2L and the Internet. This means that the student will
      need to keep up and plan well. Missing some elements of the course will
      prevent successful completion. We will cover approximately two chapters
      a week, and during the last couple of weeks we will be working
      exclusively in translating Old English texts. This will require a
      serious commitment on the part of the student as well as the instructor.

      Textbooks:
      Reading Old English: An Introduction by Robert Hasenfratz and Thomas
      Jambeck

      A History of Old English Literature by Michael Alexander

      Recommended:
      The Anglo-Saxons James Campbell

      Larry Swain
      lswain@...