Re: [textualcriticism] Textual Criticism On the Decline

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012
      Jeremias (do please sign your posts),

      Never having been a PhD candidate in Ghana, I won't attempt to pick apart your abstract. But I would suggest that one tantalizing way to interest a beginning student in the study of OTTC would be to start with the universally familiar story of Goliath. Most people don't know that there is a major textual element in the story. The MT is united in giving Goliath's height at "six cubits and a span" while many Greek mss as well as 4QSam(a) and Josephus read "four cubits and a span." The illustrators of Bible story books often appear to read an even higher number. There are so many elements to the question:

      - Did Jewish scribes 'translate' the number to accommodate a shorter Jewish cubit?
      - Was this part of a gematriac restructuring that would provide three 'sixes' in the cubits, shekels of iron, and shekels of brass (the only three measurements associated with Goliath)?
      - Was this (if 'six' were original) part of an attempt to de-mythify the account by giving Goliath a physically attainable height?

      This is a whole different world from that of NTTC, but it strikes so close to home that it is truly a shame that it's being so ignored.

      Daniel Buck