The Heothina-Series: A Reference in Cyril?

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2012
      At
      http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/txuc/cyril44.htm
      there is a presentation of an English translation of Cyril of Jerusalem's Catechetical Lectures.

      In part 24 of Lecture 14, Cyril states:

      "The course of instruction in the Faith would lead me to speak of the Ascension also; but the grace of God so ordered it, that thou heardest most fully concerning it, as far as our weakness allowed, yesterday, on the Lord's day; since, by the providence of divine grace, the course of the Lessons in Church included the account of our Saviour's going up into the heavens; and what was then said was spoken principally for the sake of all, and for the assembled body of the faithful, yet especially for thy sake."

      Two footnotes offers an explanation of Cyril's reference to "the Lessons in Church" --

      Note 1774: "anagnosmaton - a term including the portions of Scripture (perikopai) appointed for the Epistle and Gospel as well as the daily lessons from the Old and New Testaments."

      Note 1775: ""The section Luke 24:36-53, which in the Eastern Church is the Gospel for Ascension Day, is also one of the "eleven morning Gospels of the Resurrection (euangelia anastasima heothina), which were read in turn, one every Sunday at Matins."" - Dictionary of Chr. Antiq., "Lectionary." This Lecture being delivered on Monday, the Section in question had been read on the preceding day.

      Figuring that Heothina #6 (= Lk. 24:36-53) was what Cyril alluded to, what stands in the way of concluding that every part of the Heothina-series was being routinely read in the church at Jerusalem?