Re: [textualcriticism] Alfred S. Geden, R. Kilgour "Introduction to the Ginsburg Edition of the Hebrew Old Testament"

  • C.N. Bartch
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
      Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could, so there you go.

      Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
        Thank you !
        Is there a key to understand the critical apparatus of the Ginsburg
        edition? I really don't get along with it (the abreviations and so forth).
        Yours
        Peter
        > Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could, so
        > there you go.
        >
        > Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!
        >
        > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, robert robinson
        > <obadiahorthodox@...>wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> http://bible.zoxt.net/ginz2/ginz2.htm
        >>

        >> http://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_the_Ginsburg_edition_of.html?id=U7VUGQAACAAJ
        >>

        >> ------------------------------

      • C.N. Bartch
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
          Which edition of his are you trying to decipher? His Masoretico-Critical from 1894, or his large edition from 1908-1926?

          A must read his is Introduction (at http://www.archive.org/details/introductionofma00ginsuoft as well as on Google books and the ericlevy.com site posted above.

        • ps2866@bingo-ev.de
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11, 2012
            I try to read the BFBS edition of 1907-1914 with 2108 pages. I downloaded
            it from http://www.bibles.org.uk/books.html. I want to check and compare
            the different readings of the Hebrew text. Any help is appreciated.
            Yours
            Peter, Germany

            > Which edition of his are you trying to decipher? His Masoretico-Critical
            > from 1894, or his large edition from 1908-1926?
            >
            > A must read his is Introduction (at
            > http://www.archive.org/details/introductionofma00ginsuoft as well as on
            > Google books and the ericlevy.com site posted above.
            >
            > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM, <ps2866@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Thank you !
            >> Is there a key to understand the critical apparatus of the Ginsburg
            >> edition? I really don't get along with it (the abreviations and so
            >> forth).
            >> Yours
            >> Peter
            >>
            >> > Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could,
            >> so
            >> > there you go.
            >> >
            >> > Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!

            >> http://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_the_Ginsburg_edition_of.html?id=U7VUGQAACAAJ

          • C.N. Bartch
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 12, 2012
              Well, the apparatus to that edition is all in Hebrew. So a good working knowledge of Hebrew is going to be a must. Outside of that, definitely the Geden introduction will help, as well as Ginsburg's introduction to this earlier edition (that earlier introduction is a much more comprehensive work covering a lot of material).

              I am not sure of any off the top of my head, but probably some of the OT textual criticism textbooks from around the turn of the century should also be able to help you out with the apparatus. There are many to be found on both Google books and Archive.org.

              ~Chris

            • ps2866@bingo-ev.de
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12, 2012
                Thank you Chris !
                >There are many to be found on both Google books and Archive.org.
                Could you name one for me?
                Is Ginsburg better than BHS or BHQ? I think so, as Ginsburg collated more
                manuscripts. But my problem remains: I don't understand his apparatus.
                Maybe my Hebrew is to bad. A sample of a certain passage would be helpful.
                Yours
                Peter