Re: [textualcriticism] Alfred S. Geden, R. Kilgour "Introduction to the Ginsburg Edition of the Hebrew Old Testament"

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
      Peter:

      Here it is:

      Kevin

      Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
      Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
        Thanks, Chris ! A link would indeed be nice. I can't handle the TC
        apparatus in the Ginsburg Bible. Is there any help?
        Yours
        Peter
        www.streitenberger.com
        > I have all of Ginsburg's works, including this introduction in both PDF
        > and
        > DJVU. When I get home from work, I can either e-mail you the file, or try
        > to look up where I found it online for you.
        >
        > ~Chris
        >
        > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM, <ps2866@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> Dear Frinds,
        >> somewhere in the Internet one should be able to find the Intro for the
        >> Ginsburg OT. Has anybody a clue where I can get a free pdf ( Alfred S.
        >> Geden, R. Kilgour "Introduction to the Ginsburg Edition of the Hebrew
        >> Old
        >> Testament", London, BFBS, 1928, 83 pages)?
        >> Yours
        >> Peter
        >> www.streitenberger.com

      • robert robinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
            Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could, so there you go.

            Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
              Thank you !
              Is there a key to understand the critical apparatus of the Ginsburg
              edition? I really don't get along with it (the abreviations and so forth).
              Yours
              Peter
              > Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could, so
              > there you go.
              >
              > Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!
              >
              > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, robert robinson
              > <obadiahorthodox@...>wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> http://bible.zoxt.net/ginz2/ginz2.htm
              >>

              >> http://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_the_Ginsburg_edition_of.html?id=U7VUGQAACAAJ
              >>

              >> ------------------------------

            • C.N. Bartch
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
                Which edition of his are you trying to decipher? His Masoretico-Critical from 1894, or his large edition from 1908-1926?

                A must read his is Introduction (at http://www.archive.org/details/introductionofma00ginsuoft as well as on Google books and the ericlevy.com site posted above.

              • ps2866@bingo-ev.de
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 11, 2012
                  I try to read the BFBS edition of 1907-1914 with 2108 pages. I downloaded
                  it from http://www.bibles.org.uk/books.html. I want to check and compare
                  the different readings of the Hebrew text. Any help is appreciated.
                  Yours
                  Peter, Germany

                  > Which edition of his are you trying to decipher? His Masoretico-Critical
                  > from 1894, or his large edition from 1908-1926?
                  >
                  > A must read his is Introduction (at
                  > http://www.archive.org/details/introductionofma00ginsuoft as well as on
                  > Google books and the ericlevy.com site posted above.
                  >
                  > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM, <ps2866@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Thank you !
                  >> Is there a key to understand the critical apparatus of the Ginsburg
                  >> edition? I really don't get along with it (the abreviations and so
                  >> forth).
                  >> Yours
                  >> Peter
                  >>
                  >> > Others got to posting all of the most important links before I could,
                  >> so
                  >> > there you go.
                  >> >
                  >> > Ginsburg's works are a gold mine of information!

                  >> http://books.google.com/books/about/Introduction_to_the_Ginsburg_edition_of.html?id=U7VUGQAACAAJ

                • C.N. Bartch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 12, 2012
                    Well, the apparatus to that edition is all in Hebrew. So a good working knowledge of Hebrew is going to be a must. Outside of that, definitely the Geden introduction will help, as well as Ginsburg's introduction to this earlier edition (that earlier introduction is a much more comprehensive work covering a lot of material).

                    I am not sure of any off the top of my head, but probably some of the OT textual criticism textbooks from around the turn of the century should also be able to help you out with the apparatus. There are many to be found on both Google books and Archive.org.

                    ~Chris

                  • ps2866@bingo-ev.de
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 12, 2012
                      Thank you Chris !
                      >There are many to be found on both Google books and Archive.org.
                      Could you name one for me?
                      Is Ginsburg better than BHS or BHQ? I think so, as Ginsburg collated more
                      manuscripts. But my problem remains: I don't understand his apparatus.
                      Maybe my Hebrew is to bad. A sample of a certain passage would be helpful.
                      Yours
                      Peter