The Green Collection - Some Reports

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2012
      Curious about the Green Collection? Watch

      At about 2:25 there's a clear shot of P39.
      See also http://explorepassages.com/carroll

      Here's David Green describing the Green Collection:
      He more or less affirms a plan that the National Bible Museum will be in Dallas, Texas.

      Here's a KOCO-TV report featuring Steve Green; Codex Climaci Rescriptus is mentioned:

      Here's a report from CBN that features Scott Carroll:
      (Start at about 20 minutes and 40 second into the video.)

      In that CBN report, the reporter says that the National Bible Museum has "More than 30,000 items." Also, at 22:55, the reporter describes Codex Climaci Rescriptus as a "near-complete Bible." Where did the reporter get the idea that Codex Climaci Rescriptus is nearly complete? Probably from Dr. Carroll, because at 23:00, Dr. Scott Carroll comments as follows about Codex Climaci rescriptus:

      "Together, it constitutes the fifth-earliest near-complete Bible in the world. The handwriting betrays that it actually was copied from something in the 100's. So you're only three generations away from Jesus, in his own language. That's really cool."

      Uh . . . yeah. That's, like, totally accurate. No sensationalistic claims here at all. Finally we have clear proof that the Byzantine Text is from the 100's. And it's almost the entire Bible, too! Looks like it's back to the drawing board for all you Alexandrian-Text advocates.

      Would anybody care to confirm that the handwriting in Codex Climaci Rescriptus shows that its exemplar was from the 100's?

      Dr. Carroll also describes Codex Climaci Rescriptus at
      This video begins with a heading that described Codex Climaci Rescriptus as "The capstone of the Green Collection, it is the earliest surviving New Testament written in Jesus' household language." He states, "We have a manuscript that is one of the earliest near-complete Bibles."

      After describing what a palimpsest is, he says (at about 0:20): "Six books have been washed off –
      And four of them are in Jesus' household language. Two of them are in very early Greek, based on the handwriting."

      At 1:30, after describing a sophisticated technique of multi-spectral imaging – which is briefly described in another video, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYvOF3e9aY – he says the following:
      "And so by doing that, we're actually recovering, uh, the Scriptures, the earliest Scriptures; we are actually recovering the earliest Scriptures in the world in Jesus' household language."

      (I wonder how much text this technique has actually recovered by itself. I mean, Lewis and Gibson and Co. read the underwritten text the old-fashioned way already.)

      A couple of other things:
      A visitor to a Passages exhibit describes it at
      and there's a link to a New York Times slideshow that has a couple of pictures of pages from Codex Climaci Rescriptus.

      And don't forget, if you're near Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, part of the Passages Exhibit is appearing there this week. From the description at http://my.gordonconwell.edu/page.aspx?pid=563 --

      "Steve Green, president of national retailer Hobby Lobby, purchased his first biblical artifact in November 2009. In less than two years he assembled what is now the world's largest private collection of rare biblical texts and artifacts, The Green Collection. This compilation of more than 40,000 biblical antiquities will ultimately find a permanent home in a national, non-sectarian Bible museum. Green's desire "is for people of all interests to experience the creation of the book that has altered history, shaped cultures, inspired minds and changed lives." The capstone of The Green Collection is Codex Climaci Rescriptus, one of the world's earliest surviving Bibles. Using a new technology developed by The Green Collection in collaboration with Oxford University, scholars have uncovered the earliest surviving New Testament written in Palestinian Aramaic - the language used in Jesus' household - hidden under layers of text in this rare manuscript."

    • Daniel Buck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2012
        Storyteller Tim Tebow commits several transmission errors in the oral reading of "Green Eggs and Ham."

        See if you can find them all, and describe what kind they are. I noticed that it is fairly common to skip up or down a line in oral reading.