Re: [textualcriticism] Re: RST variant

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
      I have to wonder if the writer wasn't thinking of a transvestite with ANDROGYNWN rather than the passive partner in a male same-sex relationship (MALAKOI)

      cf. R. Gagnon "The Bible and Homosexual Practice" for this interpretation of MALAKOI.

      Jake H.

      On 1/21/2012 7:10 PM, C L wrote:
      Ron,

      Good to hear from you. I believe we met when I was ministering in Ukraine.

      I compared all three verses in the RST against BHS and Rahlfs.
      In my edition, the Russian Synodal Translation reads:

      "The words of the slanderer are like dainty morsels
      And they penetrate into the innermost [parts of the] belly."

      This reading agrees WITH the Masoretic Text AGAINST the
      Old Greek/LXX (Rahlfs), which says:

      "Fear casts down the slothful; and the souls of the effeminate shall hunger." (Brenton)

      BHS attributes the difference between the Greek version and the Masoretic Text to possible confusion of the word KeMiTLeHaMiYM ("like morsels") with KMMTQYM (which is represented in Greek by the apparently very creative ANDROGYNWN ["girly men," if you will]; I'm not sure why he didn't use MALAKOI cf. Canticles 5:16. This kind of confusion could have easily arisen if the Greek translator was using a faded manuscripts as his Vorlage: the confusion is mostly that the translator read the Tet as a Mem, and perhaps combined Lamed, Heh and Mem to read Qoph. Or somethng like that. Again, if the Vorlage was faded or the letters were compressed, Heh, Mem, Tet (and even Qoph and Lamed) look so similar to each other that they can be easily confused for one another. The translator could have also dropped the Lamed, etc.

      If I had to conjecture a solution, I would guess that once the translator read "dainty morsels" as "effeminate," he paraphrased the verse to make as much sense as possible. The Old Greek version of Proverbs is well-known for paraphrastic readings; the more that I read Proverbs in Greek, the more I'm convinced that the translator must have been workign with a faded or otherwise damaged Vorlage.

      Nevertheless, the RST is a faithful rendiering of the Masoretic Text: "The words of the tale-bearer [archaic] are like sweet morsels [arcahic], and the enter in the innards of the belly [archaic: Modern usage is "womb."].

      S Bogom!

      Chris Lovelace,
      Argentina