style

  • ron minton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2012
      I was asked about the difference between cursive and minuscule.  I put down what I had gathered and taught years ago.  In any case, do you think this short answer is adequate?
      XAPIC,
      Ron Minton - Ukraine
      Ancient Greek cursive is a writing style consisting of letters that were connected or partly connected.  Cursive manuscripts were done in a running hand - handwriting or script rather than hand printing or capital letters.  The cursive Greek style, in use before the NT was written, was commonly used for writing non-literary, everyday documents, such as letters, notes, receipts, petitions, deeds, and lists.

      Minuscule means rather small.  A minuscule manuscript was done with small cursive writing in a free-flowing hand.  These manuscripts date from the ninth century when Greek writing was being reformed to the eighteenth century.  This cursive minuscule script became popular for the production of books.  It was faster and took less space, so copies of Scripture were cheaper to produce.