sigla

  • ron minton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2012
      Likely posted many times, but where is a good online source for free commonly used sigla fonts?

      --
      Grace be with you,
      Ron Minton - Ukraine

    • james_snapp_jr
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2012
        Ron,

        I'm not sure if everything at

        http://www.linguistsoftware.com/ntmss.htm

        and

        http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts

        is free, but you may find there the sort of thing you're looking for -- I recommend taking a close look at the BibliaLS font. Also see the free fonts offered by Gary Dykes at

        http://www.biblical-data.org/textual.htm

        Also, if you have Microsoft Word, and the standard Times New Roman font and the standard Symbol font, then you might already have about all the sigla you need -- it's just a matter of hunting them down in the grids of special characters.

      • Jake

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
              Do you mean U+203B? (※) It is in Cardo, and IFAO-Grec Unicode, and others.
              Jan Krans

              From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>
              Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
              To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
                I did not see the common TC apparatus fonts at the SBL site.
                Can anyone send the exact URL?
                Ron Minton

                From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>
                Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
                To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                Ukraine cell = +38.091.357.20.51
                Skype = 240-949-2653
                www.ron.minton.name
              • TeunisV
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
                  Also in Lucida Sans Unicode: ¡Ø (= General Punctuation: 203B ; Reference Mark.
                  Teunis van Lopik

                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jan Krans <jlhkvu@...> wrote:

                  > Do you mean U+203B? (¢®¡Æ) It is in Cardo, and IFAO-Grec Unicode, and others.
                  > Jan Krans
                  >
                  > From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>
                  > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
                  > To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Sigla
                  >

                  > One siglum that I have not been able to find in any of the unicode fonts
                  > (Times, SBL, SIL apparatus, etc.) is the hexaplaric asterisk. Any ideas?
                  > -Drew Longacre

                • Jake
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
                    Ron,

                    The sigla are actually in a Bibleworks font. I apologize for the mistake. I don't know of any font in which the sigla are easily accesible. I did find this though:

                    http://ntresources.com/blog/?p=774

                    It lists all the unicode values for the sigla. You could probably record a short macro in MS Word so you wouldn't have to enter the unicode value every time.

                    Jake H.

                    From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>
                    Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
                    To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
                      I came across this today:

                      http://en.foursenses.net/textcriticismsigns

                      The font I was thinking of below is actually a Bibleworks font and not an SBL font </headsmack>, but rumor has it that there is going to be a new SBL font that will have the sigla...

                      Jake

                      On 1/12/2012 11:22 AM, TeunisV wrote:

                      Also in Lucida Sans Unicode: ¡Ø (= General Punctuation: 203B ; Reference Mark.
                      Teunis van Lopik

                      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jan Krans <jlhkvu@...> wrote:

                      > Do you mean U+203B? (¢®¡Æ) It is in Cardo, and IFAO-Grec Unicode, and others.
                      > Jan Krans
                      >
                      > From: Drew Longacre <drewlongacre@...>
                      > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:22:52 -0800 (PST)
                      > To: "textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com" <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Sigla
                      >

                      > One siglum that I have not been able to find in any of the unicode fonts
                      > (Times, SBL, SIL apparatus, etc.) is the hexaplaric asterisk. Any ideas?
                      > -Drew Longacre

                    • David Palmer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 12, 2012
                        I have a page with samples of the main fonts you need.  It includes the links to download them.  http://bibletranslation.ws/fonts.html  For some reason, that page loads very poorly in Microsoft Internet Explorer, but perfectly in Firefox for Windows.  Internet Explorer shows "<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->" all over the place, but Firefox renders the XML perfectly.

                        As for the Hexaplaric Asterisk, 203b, my Windows 7 computer has the following fonts on it that include that sigla: Arial Unicode MS, Batang, Cardo, Courier, (NOT Courier New), DFKai-SB, Dotum, FangSong, Fixedsys, FreeSerifCopticMS, Galilee Unicode Gk, Gulim, Gungsuh, IFAO-Grec Unicode, KaiTi, Lucida Sans, Sucida Sans Unicode, Malgun Gothic, Meiryo, Microsoft Jheng Hei, Microsoft PhagsPa, Microsoft YaHei, MingLiU, MS Gothic, MS Mincho, MS Sans Serif, MS Serif, MS UI Gothic, NSimSun, Quivira, SimHei, SimSun, Small Fonts, System, TITUS Cyberbit Basic.

                        I also have a few legacy fonts that have that sigla, but why bother with them?

                      • ron minton
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2012
                        I have attached the TC sigla I need for MS Word.  It is in Cardo font (free download).
                        Thanks to all who advised on this.
                        Ron Minton - Ukraine