New interesting Article on Singular Readings

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2004
      Peter M. HEAD,
      "The Habits of New Testament Copyists. Singular Readings in the Early
      Fragmentary Papyri of John"
      Biblica 85(2004) 399-408

      Available online at:
      http://www.bsw.org/project/biblica/bibl85/Bib85Ani12.pdf

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Geoff Hudson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2004
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        <willker@c...> wrote:
        > Peter M. HEAD,
        > "The Habits of New Testament Copyists. Singular Readings in the
        Early
        > Fragmentary Papyri of John"
        > Biblica 85(2004) 399-408
        >
        > Available online at:
        > http://www.bsw.org/project/biblica/bibl85/Bib85Ani12.pdf
        >

        > Best wishes
        > Wieland
        > <><
        > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        > mailto:willker@c...
        > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        > Textcritical commentary:

        Could similar scribal considerations apply to singular readings in
        the synoptics, e.g. Juda (Iouda) of Luke 1:39 which is usually
        translated Judah, but which a friend of mine thinks should be
        transcribed something like Yuwtah or Yuttah meaning the town of
        Juttah in Hebron?

        Geoff
      • Bai Jiansheng
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
          Very interesting article. But if all the scribal habits before the 4th c. show that scribes
          frequently transposed, omitted rather than added, how to know if the more reliable MSS
          that come later, i.e. 01 B L 33, do not have the same characteristics? Most variations are
          transpositions, syntax alteration, omission/addition. We cannot know the Byzantines
          added without the shorter Alexandrians, but if the Alexandrians before the 4th c. were
          omitting text, what is the gauge for telling the difference?

          Bai Jiansheng