Some Apocalypse-Art and a Gematria-Chart by Beatus

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2011
      At
      http://www.themorgan.org/collections/swf/exhibOnline.asp?id=500
      there is an online exhibition called "Apocalypse Then," featuring images -- illustrations (but some happen to have text, too) -- from Latin copies of the Apocalypse (mainly M. 429). The images were, it seems, selected for their artwork, and are not early; nevertheless some things seemed interesting, such as
      (1) The "Tower Scriptorium" picture, which includes a depiction of copyists preparing a manuscript.
      (2) The "Antichrist Tables," featuring seven names of Antichrist and showing how they all add up to 666. (One name is Evanthas, i.e., Euanthas, mentioned by Irenaeus. Another is Gensericus, a reference to the Arian Vandal king who pillaged Rome. Apparently Beatus, facing Arian opposition, saw Genseric as a particularly apt character to identify as an Anti-Christ figure.)

      The images are presented with Zoomify, so the presentation is right up there with the Goodspeed Collection when it comes to the degree of detail you can obtain. (I think I've recommended Zoomify before for online MS-presentation; it deserves to be mentioned again.)

      For each image, if you click on "About This Page," a description of each image should pop up.