MS 476 Digitized at BL

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2011
      This just in:

      The British Library has more digitized MSS online:
      http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/

      Most of them were not that interesting to me. But one caught my eye:

      Arundel 524 = Gospels MS 476 (= 566 in Scrivener), from the 1000's.

      Matthew begins on 8r.

      Mark begins on 64r. Mark 16:9 begins in the third-to-last line on 96r.

      Luke begins on 99r.

      John begins on 157r.

      173r starts with the end of 7:49 (-MON EPARATOI EISIN). At the beginning of 7:53 (in the ninth line) there is a plus-sign cross, accompanied by four dots that surround it in a points-of-a-square pattern. In the right margin, alongside the text of the PA, 8:12 is written (as if to instruct the lector to proceed to 8:12). 173r begins in 8:7 with -TOS (finishing the variant PRWTOS) GUNAI is included in v. 10 before POU. AUTH is included in v. 11, and v. 11 also reads KATAKRINW instead of KRINW. APO TOU NUN is also present in v. 11. Then 8:12 begins; the opening letters finishing the same line on which v. 11 ends.

      An Arche-mark is written in 8:12, directly over the text, where the words of Christ begin. There's a lectionary-related rubric nearby in the left column.

      Thanks to the staff at the British Library, and their generous patrons, for making these images available.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana