Matt 28:19 and a hermeneutical problem exemplified

  • malcolm robertson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2005
      Dear Kelton,

      Your question is a good one and is tyical and at the same time points as an indication of the rash and impudent behavior that apparently is becoming so fashionable in our present world in regards to so-called scholarly opinions, esp. via the internet.

      It saddens me to think of the overwhelmingly relentless half-hatched ideas that find vent at the slightest impetus or the more peculiar so-called scholarly findings that only warrant the recognition that they are another novel solution (in fact they simply reiterate long past and better forgotten ideas that were overlooked through uncircumspect research).  I think it was Sir Francis Bacon who said, "Histories make men wise"  -  well, at least they could and should.

      Nowadays we can divide biblical research into two broad camps; on the one hand there are those who maintain a sharp dichotomy between the historical event and it's meaning or interpretation.  In other words men (because of their theological underpinings (presuppositions) view history as "brute" facts or "uninterpreted facts" which they second-handedly impose upon the data and which they authenticate and validate through their own self imposed interpretations.  In other words they give it it's significance.  An example might be the empty tomb. The early Christian authors imposed their own understanding upon this event. This may simply mean the creation of the Trinitas or it's pia fraus irrespective of what the OT teaches. On  the other hand there are those who see reality as already containing it's own significance apart from any imposition from the outside. Consequently the empty tomb's valid theological interpretation and significance is imbedded within this event itself which men simply recognize and understand.

      Even with these brief remarks said many will not understand the demarcation and differentiation in what I have just stated.

      There is a Russian born U.S. foreign ambassador who has characterized our present epoch as "post human."  The fact that so many by pass the reality of the transcendental in their thought and research makes this present sad reality all the more apparent.  Men are simply interested in hearing their own voices and having it imposed upon the data.

      I think my remarks should have answered your original question.

      Cordially in Christ,

      Malcolm

      http://mail.yahoo.com