Re: [textualcriticism] Matthew 27:52, 53

  • Barry H.
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
      From: Atef Wagih
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:15 PM
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Matthew 27:52, 53

      >Thanks everyone for the help and information presented so far.

      >I'm still strugelling to understand why the NET Bible then puts Matt 27:53
      >in *parenthesis* !

      It's simply a matter of punctuation decided upon by the editors of the text.
      the parentheses indicate that the editors feel that the passage is adding
      information that is not directly related to the main flow of discourse. I
      disagree with those editors.

      >I tried to search in the preface or so but could not find an answer.

      This is because rounded parentheses have no text critical value, though they
      do express an interpretive judgment on the part of the editors.

      >I am basically trying to put together an answer to a claim that both verses
      >Matt 27:52 & 53, and especially 53 are not original in the text.

      I wrote my Th.M. thesis on this passage. While that work is juvenile in
      many ways, I still agree with my conclusion then, that passage makes
      internal sense as part of Matthew's discourse, both what he is doing
      theologically in his description of the passion, and with regard to his
      themes throughout Matthew.

      >Sorry if this topic was previously discussed or so.

      Since there are no significant text critical issues (that I'm aware of)
      concerning this text, it probably hasn't been discussed, though I've only
      been on this list about 6 months.

      N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
      The American Academy
      http://www.theamericanacademy.net
      (2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)

      The North American Reformed Seminary
      http://www.tnars.net

      http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
        I see nothing to indicate that ὁ ἀναγινώσκων νοείτω should be considered a gloss.

        george
        gfsomsel

        … search for truth, hear truth,
        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 18, 2011

          The books are now also on archive.org:

          http://www.archive.org/details/Hoskier-ConcerningTheTextOfTheApokalypse

          Hermann C. Hoskier

          "Concerning the Text of the Apokalypse"

          Collations of all existing available Greek documents, plus versions, commentaries and fathers

          Both volumes in one PDF

          1465 pages, 1929

          --------------------------

          Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

          http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

          Textcritical commentary:

          http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

          Please check out the TC forum:

          http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 19, 2011
            For those who struggle to follow Hoskier's manuscript numbering system and wish someone would translate it all to GA numbers, the good news from Christian Askeland at the ETC blog is that a team based at the Kirchliche Hochschule Wuppertal-Bethel has started work on an Editio Critica Major of the book of Revelation in partnership with the International Greek New Testament Project. The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Fund) has funded the initiative.

            Daniel Buck

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 19, 2011
              Ahem, my table of ms. number conversions is accurate as far as I know.  And it's free.  If there is an error, I'd like to hear about it.
              http://bibletranslation.ws/trans/revwgrk.pdf

              Hoskier's Vol. 2 is also available in print inexpensively from Lulu ($21.55):

              http://bit.ly/ptecDg

              David Robert Palmer
              http://bibletranslation.ws/palmer-translation/