Re: [textualcriticism] Matthew 27:52, 53

  • David Palmer
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 9, 2011
      27:52a txt καὶ τὰ μνημεῖα ἀνεῴχθησαν אc B D K M U Δ Θ 28 69 124 157 565 700 788 1071 1424 TR RP NA27 SBL {\} καὶ τὰ μνήματα ἀνεῴχθη A καὶ τὰ μνημεῖα ἠνεῴχθη C* καὶ τὰ μνημεῖα ἠνεῴχθησαν C² L ƒ¹ 2c 33 579 καὶ τὰ μνημεῖα ἀνεῴχθη Y W Π __ὰ μνημεῖα ἀνεῴχθησαν 346 omit א* 2* lac. N P Q 13

      http://bibletranslation.ws/trans/mattwgrk.pdf

      David Robert Palmer
      http://bibletranslation.ws/palmer-translation/
    • Atef Wagih
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 10, 2011
        Thanks David for the pparatus and the pdf,

        Sorry if my question seems novice, but i can't understand why the NET Bible puts the entire Matthew 27:53 between brackets.

        The only note stated on verse 53 in the NET bible commentary is : "Here καί (kai) has not been translated".

        Also, Verse 53 does not seem to have any comments or variants according to the pdf you sent me.

        All help is much appreciated.

        In Christ,
        Atef Raouf.
        +++ Remmber the PERSECUTED Copts in your prayers. Lord Have Mercy +++

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
          Tischendorf's ed. maior 8 on Matth. 27:53:
          http://www.archive.org/stream/novumtestamentum01tisc#page/204/mode/2up
          Teunis van Lopik

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Atef Wagih <atef_wagih@...> wrote:

          > Thanks David for the pparatus and the pdf,
          >
          > Sorry if my question seems novice, but i can't understand why the NET Bible puts the entire Matthew 27:53 between brackets.
          >
          > The only note stated on verse 53 in the NET bible commentary is : "Here καί (kai) has not been translated".
          >
          > Also, Verse 53 does not seem to have any comments or variants according to the pdf you sent me.
          >
          > All help is much appreciated.
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Atef Raouf.
          > +++ Remmber the PERSECUTED Copts in your prayers. Lord Have Mercy +++
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Stephen Carlson
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
            On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Atef Wagih <atef_wagih@...> wrote:
            Sorry if my question seems novice, but i can't understand why the NET Bible puts the entire Matthew 27:53 between brackets.

            The NET Bible puts the entire Matt 27:53 in *parenthesis* (called "round brackets" outside the US).  Those are not the *square* brackets that indicate a textually uncertain passage.

            Stephen
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson
            Graduate Program in Religion
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
              Thanks everyone for the help and information presented so far.

              I'm still strugelling to understand why the NET Bible then puts  Matt 27:53 in *parenthesis* !

              I tried to search in the preface or so but could not find an answer.

              I am basically trying to put together an answer to a claim that both verses Matt 27:52 & 53, and especially 53 are not original in the text.

              Sorry if this topic was previously discussed or so.

              In Christ,
              Atef Raouf

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                The round brackets are not a sign for insecurity.
                They are used to indicate extra information in the text.

                Compare 27:33
                They came to a place called Golgotha (which means “Place of the Skull”)

                One could also use commas instead.

                --------------------------
                Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                Textcritical commentary:
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                Please check out the TC forum:
                http://tcg.iphpbb3.com
              • George F Somsel
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 11, 2011
                  Stephen Carlson explained this for you.  The paretheses are not an indication of any textual judgment but set off a parenthetical statement.

                  george
                  gfsomsel

                  … search for truth, hear truth,
                  defend the truth till death.

                  - Jan Hus
                  _________

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011

                    Most scholars appear to attribute this verse to Matthew, as a point where he departs from following Mark and inserts his own material. His own material provides even more eschatological stage props than Mark. His own material also appears to suggest a dialectical interpretation of the cross in which “it is in dying that we are born to life”, to borrow a phrase from someone else. The moment of Jesus’ death is the moment of resurrection. However, this kind of theological thinking presents an historical problem, as it might appear that some of the saints were raised before Jesus; a bit of a problem when Jesus is supposed to be “the first-born from the dead”. So we have the saints lounging in their tombs, like people lying in a bath, from Friday to Sunday morning so they don’t steal Jesus’ thunder. Could Matthew have written this awkward passage? One person who decides not is Eduard Schweizer1. He suggest that “Either the original reading was “after they rose from death”, [not “after Jesus rose from death”], as attested by certain individual late manuscripts, or the comment is a later addition”. [My bolding.] Unfortunately Schweizer does not state which “individual late manuscripts” he had in mind, nor is the hand of a corrector identified by him.

                    Greg Crawford

                    1: Eduard Schweizer. The Good News according to Matthew.SPCK.London.1975. p.516.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                          Dear Atef,

                          We here in Indiana are praying for the Coptic Christians, and for Youcef Nadarkhani in Iran.

                          In the NET, when normal parentheses
                          (the shapes at the beginning and end of this line)
                          surround a sentence or phrase, this does not mean that there is any doubt about the passage. Their presence in the NET is due to the translators' decision to represent Mt. 27:53 as a sort of interruption, because it refers to a future point in time instead of the scene of Christ's crucifixion.

                          The use of square brackets
                          [the shapes at the beginning and end of this line]
                          is intended to convey doubt about the genuineness of the passage which they surround. But this is not what was meant by the parentheses in the NET at Mt. 27:53.

                          By the way, your question may illustrate something about MS 2427, "Archaic Mark," a forgery which was consistently cited in the 27th edition of the Nestle-Aland GNT in Mark. Whoever made 2427 was, as Stephen Carlson has shown, basing his work on a printed Greek text published by Phillip Buttmann. In Buttmann's printed Greek NT, Mark 7:3-4 is within parentheses, and at Mark 13:14, the words "let the reader understand" are within round parentheses. The person who made 2427 misinterpreted those round parentheses as if they were intended to convey doubt about the passage. As a result, in 2427, Mark 7:3-4 and the parenthetical phrase in Mark 13:14 are missing.

                        • Peter Streitenberger
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                            For all friends here on this list, I'd like to announce that the Hoksier book concerning the Apocalypse is online now. Hoskier collated many of the MSS of Revelation and his results are written in this book. Please visit my homepage: ttp://www.bingo-ev.de/~ps2866/conc-text.pdf (ca. 65 MB)
                            Yours
                            Peter, Germany

                          • David Palmer
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                              Ah, that may be a reason for the parentheses: they would eliminate the sequential order of the statement about the saints being raised, so that it does not sound as much like they rose before Jesus himself.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                                Hi All,

                                Thank you for all the information regarding Matthew 27.

                                One of the claims i am trying to prepare a reply to is that the words " Let the reader understand" in Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13: 14 were "added later by the scribes to refer the readers to incidents that happened in history" and that these words were not an original part of the verses !

                                However, i have searched in all the textual variants lists, whether in Greek or English, and have not find any scientific reference to these claims.

                                All what i found in regards to these verses is related to Daniel the prophet and whether there is a harmonization or not.

                                My question is: are there any scientific grounds for such a claim? or is it just an explanatory part (like Matthew 27:53) in my previous post.

                                Thank you

                                in Christ,
                                Atef Raouf.
                              • George F Somsel
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 12, 2011
                                  I see nothing to indicate that ὁ ἀναγινώσκων νοείτω should be considered a gloss.

                                  george
                                  gfsomsel

                                  … search for truth, hear truth,
                                  defend the truth till death.

                                  - Jan Hus
                                  _________

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 18, 2011

                                    The books are now also on archive.org:

                                    http://www.archive.org/details/Hoskier-ConcerningTheTextOfTheApokalypse

                                    Hermann C. Hoskier

                                    "Concerning the Text of the Apokalypse"

                                    Collations of all existing available Greek documents, plus versions, commentaries and fathers

                                    Both volumes in one PDF

                                    1465 pages, 1929

                                    --------------------------

                                    Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany

                                    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie

                                    Textcritical commentary:

                                    http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                                    Please check out the TC forum:

                                    http://tcg.iphpbb3.com

                                    For all friends here on this list, I'd like to announce that the Hoksier book concerning the Apocalypse is online now. Hoskier collated many of the MSS of Revelation and his results are written in this book. Please visit my homepage: ttp://www.bingo-ev.de/~ps2866/conc-text.pdf (ca. 65 MB)

                                    Yours

                                    Peter, Germany

                                  • Daniel Buck
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 19, 2011
                                      For those who struggle to follow Hoskier's manuscript numbering system and wish someone would translate it all to GA numbers, the good news from Christian Askeland at the ETC blog is that a team based at the Kirchliche Hochschule Wuppertal-Bethel has started work on an Editio Critica Major of the book of Revelation in partnership with the International Greek New Testament Project. The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Fund) has funded the initiative.

                                      Daniel Buck

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 19, 2011
                                        Ahem, my table of ms. number conversions is accurate as far as I know.  And it's free.  If there is an error, I'd like to hear about it.
                                        http://bibletranslation.ws/trans/revwgrk.pdf

                                        Hoskier's Vol. 2 is also available in print inexpensively from Lulu ($21.55):

                                        http://bit.ly/ptecDg