Re: [textualcriticism] ONTA as "who" in Ephesians 1:1

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2011
      Daniel,

      There is a similar TSKS construction at Acts 11.1.

      Ἤκουσαν δὲ οἱ ἀπόστολοι καὶ οἱ ἀδελφοὶ οἱ ὄντες κατὰ τὴν Ἰουδαίαν ὅτι καὶ τὰ ἔθνη ἐδέξαντο τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ.

      Also at John 11.31 and Acts 11.22 where the participle is adjectival and in 2nd predicate position.

      Here is a note on Eph 1.1 in a paper I've been working on

      " toi/j a[gioij ))) kai. pi,stoij is a TSKS construction according to Wallace , who notes Eph. 1.1 as an example in which both groups are identical (Wallace, 282).  “In Greek, when two [substantives] are connected by kai, and the article precedes only the first noun, there is a close connection between the two. That connection always indicates at least some sort of unity (Wallace, 270).” The presence of intervening words does not negate the implied unity. See the discussion in Wallace, 270-290. The TSKS construction is characteristic of the style of Ephesians [See also 2.20; 3.12; 3.18; 4.11]; the introduction of this stylistic element in the prescript serves to highlight this feature of the letter and creates awareness or expectation in the reader. "

      I ended up translating vv1,2 thus:
      Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through the will of God, to those who are the holy and faithful ones in Christ Jesus: 2grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

      Hope this helps.

      Jake

      On 10/6/2011 7:05 PM, bucksburg wrote:

      --- In March 2009 on textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Buck wrote:

      >>The earliest copy to have EN EFESW, A 02, reads as follows:

      paulos apostolos iu_ xu_ dia qelhmatos qu_ tois agiois pasin tois susin en efesw kai pistois en xw_ iu_

      Paul an apostle of Js Cht through the will of Gd, to the saints, all those being in Ephesus, and (to the) faithful in Ch Js.

      This text is coherent, either because it is as Paul wrote it, or because it was later redacted, or both.>>

      I see now that, in addition to whatever other shortcomings I had back then, I was misled by a feature of the "compare" feature at the Muenster site which made it look like 01 and 03 had dittographies at the point where they were missing EN EFESW. In fact, only p46 has a dittography there:

      PAULOS APOSTOLOS XRU INU DIA QELHMATOS QU TOIS AGIOIS TOIS OUSIN KAI PISTOIS EN PISTOIS EN XRW INU

      Paul an apostle of Chrt. Jes. by the will of Gd to the saints being, and faithful in faithful in Chrt. Jes.

      I have seen this last part translated as, "to the saints who are faithful in Christ Jesus." Is this usage of ONTA found anywhere else in the NT?