MS 2427

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
      Stephen Carlson asked:
      > What's the current status of 2427? Have the
      > questions about its authenticity been settled?

      Fortunately there is an "active scholar" working on 2427 currently. It
      is Margaret M. Mitchell, Associate Professor of New Testament and Early
      Christian Literature, University of Chicago.

      She has a collation of 2427 in press, which is probably quite good,
      because I have sent her some corrections.
      :-)
      When the article is out, very good online images will follow. They are
      already online and can even be found if you know where to look.
      But no tests have so far been performed on the actual MS with regard to
      its authenticity. I have encouraged her to do it, but I am not sure if
      she wants to follow it up. But it has to be done. If 2427 turns out to
      be a 19th CE fake, all work on it will be in vain.
      An encouraging email cannot be wrong.
      :-)

      ------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
        At 07:18 PM 4/8/2005 +0200, Wieland Willker wrote:
        >Stephen Carlson asked:
        >> What's the current status of 2427? Have the
        >> questions about its authenticity been settled?
        >
        >Fortunately there is an "active scholar" working on 2427 currently. It
        >is Margaret M. Mitchell, Associate Professor of New Testament and Early
        >Christian Literature, University of Chicago.
        >
        >She has a collation of 2427 in press, which is probably quite good,
        >because I have sent her some corrections.
        >:-)

        That's excellent news. I've been needing a good collation of 2427
        to input into my stemmatics software. Any idea whether "in press"
        means weeks, months, or years?

        >When the article is out, very good online images will follow. They are
        >already online and can even be found if you know where to look.

        Hmm...

        >But no tests have so far been performed on the actual MS with regard to
        >its authenticity. I have encouraged her to do it, but I am not sure if
        >she wants to follow it up. But it has to be done. If 2427 turns out to
        >be a 19th CE fake, all work on it will be in vain.
        >An encouraging email cannot be wrong.
        >:-)

        Obviously it would be nice to test the MS for authenticity. There have
        been a quite a few forged illuminated manuscripts that surfaced in the
        early 20th century with the same general provenance as 2427, and the
        report of a modern pigment in 2427 certainly adds to the suspicion.

        However, even if the illuminations of 2427 are wholly fake or just
        adulterated in part, there is still the question of where the text
        came from. A good collation will be very helpful in that regard.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
          > to input into my stemmatics software. Any idea
          > whether "in press" means weeks, months, or years?

          It has been accepted by NovT. I think it will be in the June issue.

          > However, even if the illuminations of 2427 are wholly > fake or just
          adulterated in part, there is still the
          > question of where the text came from. A good
          > collation will be very helpful in that regard.

          Yes.
          It is possible that only the paintings have been tampered with. The
          parchment and the ink have to be analyzed by appropriate experts.
          The text itself is curious. It is certainly not simply copied from some
          19th/20th CE edition. If one could get a date of the parchment and/or
          the ink that would already help a lot.
          If anybody knows whom to contact in this respect let me know, or contact
          M. Mitchell directly.