Re: [textualcriticism] Gethsemane

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 15, 2011
      gath smane is Aramaic and it means (place of) the oil press.  It was an olive orchard in the 1st century and there was a large stone olive press used for making oil.

      Jack

      Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:56 PM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Gethsemane

      Could someone tell me what language Gethsemane is. I thought it was Latin, but I checked several references and there is some contradiction.
      Thanks,
      Johnny

    • Diana Fulbright
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 15, 2011

        GethsemaneΓεθσημανη / Γεθσημανει is English transliteration of Greek transliteration of Hebrew / Aramaic גת   שמנ \ שמנא Geth shemen – “oil press”.

        Diana Fulbright

        Could someone tell me what language Gethsemane is. I thought it was Latin, but I checked several references and there is some contradiction.
        Thanks,
        Johnny

        dangerous content by the globalweb.net MailScanner and is
        believed to be clean.