TAN: HTML Character Entities; was, Re: [textualcriticism] Re: MSS With Annotations About Mark 16:9-20

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2011
      Since this sort of problem seems to crop up occasionally, I thought
      I'd note that those mysterious 6-character strings represent HTML
      entities; it's not the usual Unicode vs. non-Unicode encoding issue
      you sometimes see with legacy fonts. All Unicode characters have
      corresponding entity names. See:

      http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/code/charsets/auto.html

      specifically:

      http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/cgi-bin/unicode.pl.cgi?start=0370&end=03FF

      for Greek. If you're curious enough, you can copy troublesome code
      from an email and paste it into a plain text editor (NotePad,
      TextEdit, Gedit, etc.) and save it with .html as the file format
      suffix (e.g., greek.html). Open the file with a browser - and I expect
      this will work with any browser of almost any age - and you should see
      Greek letters.

      John

      ***

      On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Barry H. <nebarry@...> wrote in part:

      > Looks like this uses a proprietary font? I am utf-8 unicode enabled to the
      > max...

      ... In 20 and 300, the colophon states

      --
      John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
      JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **