RE: Mark 16:17-18, MS Relationships, and 2427

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8 1:56 AM
      Your scenario regarding 099 sounds probable.
      It is also possible that GLWSSAIS LALHSOUSIN is an idiom ("speaking in
      tongues"), compare 1.Co 12:30, 14:6+18, with KAINAIS being superfluous
      or distracting.

      > The NA27 apparatus says that W, f-13, and the Old Latin
      > support both the presence of KAINAIS and the absence
      > of KAI EN TAIS CHERSIN. So does 2427 -- uniquely
      > among Alexandrian witnesses.

      It is possible that the words have been omitted, because we have here a
      list. But then, it would only be necessary to omit the KAI, to maintain
      the enumeration style.
      It is also possible that the words have been added to make clear that
      KAINAIS belongs to GLWSSAIS LALHSOUSIN and not to OFEIS AROUSIN.

      Since in my view the textual history of the ending(s) of Mark is (at
      least in part) different from the rest of the Gospel, it does not help
      much to speak of "Alexandrian witnesses" here. Unfortunately the number
      of relevant variants is small in the longer ending (about 15), which
      makes a grouping difficult.
      If one defines the text of C, L as "Alexandrian", then 2427 is certainly
      not Alexandrian, but its nearest neighbors are A and f1. It agrees only
      once with C, L (adding IHSOUS in verse 19), but disagrees 6 times.
      This feature of 2427 (strong Alexandrian in the Gospel and basically
      Byzantine in the ending) makes it even more enigmatic.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 6:24 AM
        At 10:56 AM 4/8/2005 +0200, Wieland Willker wrote:
        >If one defines the text of C, L as "Alexandrian", then 2427 is certainly
        >not Alexandrian, but its nearest neighbors are A and f1. It agrees only
        >once with C, L (adding IHSOUS in verse 19), but disagrees 6 times.
        >This feature of 2427 (strong Alexandrian in the Gospel and basically
        >Byzantine in the ending) makes it even more enigmatic.

        What's the current status of 2427? Have the questions about its
        authenticity been settled?

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...