Re: [textualcriticism] Re: evidence for abrupt ending of Mark

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 6, 2011
      It is not quite representative of the full truth to emphasize that the LE is absent in less than one percent of all Greek manuscripts. Leaving aside the versional evidence, it is plain both from Eusebius/Jerome as well as the sigla in several Byzantine codices that these two (01 and B) are representative of many more Greek manuscripts that ended Mark at verse six.

      Whatever the reasons the scribe/s of 01 and B had for leaving out the LE, it was evidently a rather popular thing to do at the time their exemplars were written, and for a while thereafter. Nevertheless, all such manuscripts were lost to history, and those that replaced them contained--in a handful of cases, the LE preceded by the SE--the ending of Mark as it came to be in over 99% of the Greek manuscripts now extant.

      Although I fear 01 and B are often given far more weight than they deserve, there is also a danger, on the other side, of giving them less weight than they should rightly have. In other words, 01 and B, far from being singular in their treatment of the ME, are indicative of a trend which was subsequently reversed in the course of transmitting the text of Mark.  And indeed, it was transparently the opionion of the scribes who wrote, "" that they were not initiating, but rather reversing, a trend in the transmission of Mark's gospel.

      Daniel Buck
    • Diana Fulbright
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 15, 2011

        GethsemaneΓεθσημανη / Γεθσημανει is English transliteration of Greek transliteration of Hebrew / Aramaic גת   שמנ \ שמנא Geth shemen – “oil press”.

        Diana Fulbright