Possinus - Catena on Mark

  • james_snapp_jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2011
      Possinus (1673) is available at Google Books:

      "Catena graecorum patrum in Evangeliun secundum Marcum" can be downloaded as a PDF.

      http://books.google.com/books?id=JFrAsO0mAqEC&lr=

      I have only looked at it briefly.

      The main part of the book features the Commentary of Victor of Antioch, interspersed with an Anonymous Commentary and the commentary in the Tolouse ("Tolos.") manuscript that he accessed.

      Burgon, when describing MS 304, stated the following about its commentary-text: "The text of S. Mark is here interwoven with a Commentary which I do not recognize. But from the correspondence of a note at the end with what is found in Possinus, pp. 361-3, I am led to suspect that the contents of this MS. will be found to correspond with what Possinus published and designated as "Tolosanus.""

      Turning to pages 361-363 of Possinus, there are comments in Greek, accompanied by a Latin translation. And at the end of the commentary that accompanies Mark 16:6-8, there's a centered note that says something like "A few copies are missing the part from here to the end."

      Maybe J.P.P. Martin cited enough of 304 to facilitate a comparison. Someone should check and see!

      Hort, on p. 35 of "Notes on Select Readings," mentions that the short anonymous commentary that Poussin (= Possinus) intersperses with that of Victor and with a third, has 8 lines on v. 9, and here Eusebius is cited by name. Those lines are on p. 364, and they basically say, "Eusebius, writing to Marinus, said that this Mary who saw the young man was a different one; they both had a common name and the surname Magdalene, drawn from her home-country."

      The reference is to part of "Ad Marinum," which, by the way, has been freshly retranslated and reissued under the guidance of Roger Pearse. (In the relevant part of "Ad Marinum," Eusebius states that some copies of Mark say that Jesus cast out seven demons out of Mary Magdalene.)

      Hort also mentioned that the contents of the Tolosanus commentary printed by Possinus are "almost identical with those that are attributed to Theophylact, which certainly cover vv. 9-20."

      Also, after reading the summary of Mark on page 1 of the main part of Possinus' book -- a summary which ends by stating something like, "His body was placed in the tomb but rose again in three days, at which time an angel gave the announcement to the women to tell to the disciples" -- it seems to me that Hort's statement that it "must have been written by some one who used a copy from which vv. 9-20 were absent" is quite an overstatement, because the summary is so sparse in many other respects.

      Anyway, this seems like a good resource to have. It's 54 MB, 577 pages.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
    • Filotheu Monahul
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2011
        Thanks a lot, James. This is indeed a very precious tool.

        Do you happen to know other links to other editions of Catenae available online?
        I found only Catena in Ioannem here: http://books.google.com/books?id=1B2M1a53ZpIC&dq=catena%20patrum%20graecorum&pg=PP5#v=onepage&q&f=false

        On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 04:42:00 -0000
        "james_snapp_jr" <voxverax@...> wrote:

        > Possinus (1673) is available at Google Books:
        >
        > "Catena graecorum patrum in Evangeliun secundum Marcum" can be downloaded as a PDF.
        >
        > http://books.google.com/books?id=JFrAsO0mAqEC&lr=
        >
        > I have only looked at it briefly.
        >
        > The main part of the book features the Commentary of Victor of Antioch, interspersed with an Anonymous Commentary and the commentary in the Tolouse ("Tolos.") manuscript that he accessed.
        >
        > Burgon, when describing MS 304, stated the following about its commentary-text: "The text of S. Mark is here interwoven with a Commentary which I do not recognize. But from the correspondence of a note at the end with what is found in Possinus, pp. 361-3, I am led to suspect that the contents of this MS. will be found to correspond with what Possinus published and designated as "Tolosanus.""
        >
        > Turning to pages 361-363 of Possinus, there are comments in Greek, accompanied by a Latin translation. And at the end of the commentary that accompanies Mark 16:6-8, there's a centered note that says something like "A few copies are missing the part from here to the end."
        >
        > Maybe J.P.P. Martin cited enough of 304 to facilitate a comparison. Someone should check and see!
        >
        > Hort, on p. 35 of "Notes on Select Readings," mentions that the short anonymous commentary that Poussin (= Possinus) intersperses with that of Victor and with a third, has 8 lines on v. 9, and here Eusebius is cited by name. Those lines are on p. 364, and they basically say, "Eusebius, writing to Marinus, said that this Mary who saw the young man was a different one; they both had a common name and the surname Magdalene, drawn from her home-country."
        >
        > The reference is to part of "Ad Marinum," which, by the way, has been freshly retranslated and reissued under the guidance of Roger Pearse. (In the relevant part of "Ad Marinum," Eusebius states that some copies of Mark say that Jesus cast out seven demons out of Mary Magdalene.)
        >
        > Hort also mentioned that the contents of the Tolosanus commentary printed by Possinus are "almost identical with those that are attributed to Theophylact, which certainly cover vv. 9-20."
        >
        > Also, after reading the summary of Mark on page 1 of the main part of Possinus' book -- a summary which ends by stating something like, "His body was placed in the tomb but rose again in three days, at which time an angel gave the announcement to the women to tell to the disciples" -- it seems to me that Hort's statement that it "must have been written by some one who used a copy from which vv. 9-20 were absent" is quite an overstatement, because the summary is so sparse in many other respects.
        >
        > Anyway, this seems like a good resource to have. It's 54 MB, 577 pages.
        >
        > Yours in Christ,
        >
        > James Snapp, Jr.
        > Curtisville Christian Church
        > Indiana (USA)

      • james_snapp_jr
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
          Filotheu M -

          I almost forgot: Cramer's Catena is online. Be advised that Cramer was soundly criticized for his selection of some inaccurate texts, though. It's still a lot better than nothing. The volumes are at Archive. Roger Pearse has conveniently provided a link at

          http://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/?p=964

          and at

          http://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/?p=1277

          he points out certain shortcomings in Cramer's work.

          And, Roger has also recently completed "Eusebius of Caesarea - Gospel Problems and Solutions," which I have not read but which probably includes some snippets from Eusebius as found in a catena or two.

          Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
          Indiana (USA)