RE: [textualcriticism] Re: New publications

  • Ehrman, Bart D
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011

           Mike Holmes and I are putting the finishing touches on the manuscript of Text of the NT in Contemporary Research:  Essays on the Status Quaestionis  this month, with hopes of having it off to the press for copy-editing in early September.   My guess is that it will take a year to appear.  It is being published by Brill.

      n  Bart Ehrman

      Bart D. Ehrman

      James A. Gray Professor

      Department of Religious Studies

      www.bartdehrman.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011

        Can you tell us any more about what is included in this revised edition? The first edition was instrumental in really deepening my interest in TC. So I’m curious how much of this revised edition will simply be a reprint, and how much will be updated discussion on the various essays, and/or new essays added.

        Benjamin Pehrson

        Translation Advisor

        SIL PNG

        Papua New Guinea

        No replies to this one? I'd be interested to hear about NA28 myself...
        Cheers,
        Holger Szesnat

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "yennifmit" <tfinney@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Does anyone know when the following are going to be published?
        >
        > * Nestle-Aland 28, apparently with an electronic apparatus.
        >
        > * Revised ed. of _The Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research:
        Essays on the Status Quaestionis_.

        > Best,
        >
        > Tim Finney

      • Mike Holmes
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
          This is definitely not a reprint! The essays in the first edition have been either thoroughly updated (in some cases, by the original author, in some cases by a new author) or replaced (by an essay by a new author), and seven new chapters have been added; these cover the Gothic version, "other witnesses" (ostraca, etc.), social history of scribes, the debate about "text types," criteria for evaluating readings, conjectures, and the debate regarding the "original text" and the goal(s) of textual criticism.
          Given the strong line-up of contributors, Bart and I are optimistic that this new edition will serve as well as (perhaps even better than) the first edition.
          thanks,
          Mike Holmes

          www.bartdehrman.com<http://www.bartdehrman.com>