Evaluating Translation Technique in Greek Zechariah

  • Danger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2011
      Esteemed Colleagues,

      I'm currently working on identifying a Th.M. thesis topic in Zechariah (and have received some helpful feedback on this forum before).

      I'd like to ask for some general feedback on whether this topic has merit, and what resources you recommend:

      I was considering whether it would be possible to develop a theoretical framework for evaluating the translation technique of Greek Zechariah by drawing from the work of Venuti, Walter Benjamin, Bassnet and Nida.

      Then I (recently) came across the proceedings of the 1999 IOSCS congress proceedings from Helsinki, which exposed me to the "statistical analysis" of Septuagint translation techniques, as developed by Soisalon-Soininen, et al.

      Here's my question: Does anyone know whether the methods of the Helsinki School have been applied to Zechariah? If not, what critiques do you have (or know of) regarding the Helsinki School?
      (I've seen a brief critiques in Stead's work on Zech 1-8, I believe; and I expect that Palmer deals with it in "Not Made with Tracing Paper," but I have not had a chance to look specifically.)

      I'm not sure if this is a proper topic for general consumption, so if you would like to write me directly rather than on this forum publicly, please do so at virtualgraffiti@....

      Sincerely,

      Chris Lovelace,
      Th.M. Candidate