Re: A Beginner

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      Some (pseudo-)facsimiles can be found at:
      http://www.bibles.org.uk/pdf/bibles/00README.shtml

      The following two online-works are a MUST-READ:
      Westcott-Hort intro:
      http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/Ebind/docs/TC/WH1881/
      (password: "any" - "any")

      THE FOUR GOSPELS by B.H. Streeter
      http://www.katapi.org.uk/4Gospels/Contents.htm

      you should perhaps also read Robert Waltz' Encyclopedia in toto:
      http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/

      some more links:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/bibel.html#text

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • William Warren
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
        I would agree with Kevin on the starting point being well served
        through some of the more recent introductory works in the field. I've
        found that a general information base that is as up-to-date as possible
        provides a basic knowledge or overview of the field that is needed by
        most for digesting the earlier seminal works. On the other hand, I
        have a number of students in my intro to NT TC courses that are not
        going to take more than an intro. course to TC, so I need to provide as
        good an overview of the field as possible in just one semester. If
        students on the front end already know that they want to go further in
        TC than the intro course, that would perhaps warrant a different
        approach. I would also suggest that some acquaintance with the mss. is
        indispensable, with collating (as several have suggested) and
        observation of the marginalia, etc. essential.

        May I also posit a further question in this discussion? What are those
        who teach TC actually doing in their intro courses? I think a
        description of what the courses cover would be beneficial to all. For
        example, in my M.Div. intro. course, I use Metzger, Aland and Aland,
        and Ehrman and Holmes as the main textbooks for the history and theory
        side. I've had students make a page of papyrus more often than not and
        write a favorite verse from a ms. or the GNT on it so they could get a
        sense of both the materials and processes for papyrus. I use about 2/3
        of the course for covering the history of the text and method, with
        collating being done in conjunction with this part so that the nature
        of the variants and differences between mss. and text-types can be
        understood, then the last 1/3 of the course covers specific variants in
        the NT, and looking at the variants in various mss. (via facsimilies
        and photocopies from microfilms) to verify the citations in the
        critical editions. In this last 1/3, students use both GNT and N-A,
        Metzger's textual commentary, and other commentaries on the specific
        passages that deal with the textual variant under consideration.
        Readings in works like Westcott and Hort and other seminal works as
        well as other current works are encouraged through reports, extra
        credit projects, work on the specific variants, etc. These seminal
        works are then covered in further courses in the area.

        An advanced M.Div. level course builds on this one with more emphasis
        on paleographical features, collating, and methods of analysis (with
        more readings in the seminal works included at this level). A course
        on the history of the Bible with major emphasis on canon development is
        also offered. From that point, we begin Ph.D. level seminars.

        paz,

        Bill Warren