Re: A Beginner

  • spatter5on
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Jim West <jwest@h...> wrote:

      > If you can get hold of a manuscript- like Sinaiticus

      A few months ago I found photos/scans of (i think) the whole of
      sinaitucus and other ancient manuscripts on the internet
      somewhere...but I've lost the link. Does anyone know the site. I
      though there was a link to it from Rod Deckers site, but I can't find
      it now...?

      PS - Thanks Jim and everyone else for your suggestions and
      recommendations...it'll look into them...

      Si~
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
        Some (pseudo-)facsimiles can be found at:
        http://www.bibles.org.uk/pdf/bibles/00README.shtml

        The following two online-works are a MUST-READ:
        Westcott-Hort intro:
        http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/Ebind/docs/TC/WH1881/
        (password: "any" - "any")

        THE FOUR GOSPELS by B.H. Streeter
        http://www.katapi.org.uk/4Gospels/Contents.htm

        you should perhaps also read Robert Waltz' Encyclopedia in toto:
        http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/

        some more links:
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/bibel.html#text

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • William Warren
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
          I would agree with Kevin on the starting point being well served
          through some of the more recent introductory works in the field. I've
          found that a general information base that is as up-to-date as possible
          provides a basic knowledge or overview of the field that is needed by
          most for digesting the earlier seminal works. On the other hand, I
          have a number of students in my intro to NT TC courses that are not
          going to take more than an intro. course to TC, so I need to provide as
          good an overview of the field as possible in just one semester. If
          students on the front end already know that they want to go further in
          TC than the intro course, that would perhaps warrant a different
          approach. I would also suggest that some acquaintance with the mss. is
          indispensable, with collating (as several have suggested) and
          observation of the marginalia, etc. essential.

          May I also posit a further question in this discussion? What are those
          who teach TC actually doing in their intro courses? I think a
          description of what the courses cover would be beneficial to all. For
          example, in my M.Div. intro. course, I use Metzger, Aland and Aland,
          and Ehrman and Holmes as the main textbooks for the history and theory
          side. I've had students make a page of papyrus more often than not and
          write a favorite verse from a ms. or the GNT on it so they could get a
          sense of both the materials and processes for papyrus. I use about 2/3
          of the course for covering the history of the text and method, with
          collating being done in conjunction with this part so that the nature
          of the variants and differences between mss. and text-types can be
          understood, then the last 1/3 of the course covers specific variants in
          the NT, and looking at the variants in various mss. (via facsimilies
          and photocopies from microfilms) to verify the citations in the
          critical editions. In this last 1/3, students use both GNT and N-A,
          Metzger's textual commentary, and other commentaries on the specific
          passages that deal with the textual variant under consideration.
          Readings in works like Westcott and Hort and other seminal works as
          well as other current works are encouraged through reports, extra
          credit projects, work on the specific variants, etc. These seminal
          works are then covered in further courses in the area.

          An advanced M.Div. level course builds on this one with more emphasis
          on paleographical features, collating, and methods of analysis (with
          more readings in the seminal works included at this level). A course
          on the history of the Bible with major emphasis on canon development is
          also offered. From that point, we begin Ph.D. level seminars.

          paz,

          Bill Warren