Re: [textualcriticism] Latin to English translation help?

  • James Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2011
      --- On Tue, 5/17/11, Barry H. <nebarry@...> wrote:

      > Bob, it produced virtual nonsense.  I doubt that any
      > English speaker could
      > tell us what this is really supposed to mean.

      Agreed, it gives a pretty ridiculous rendering. Still, on looking over the "translation" I was thinking that, for someone who's worked in a foreign language or two and who knows some rudimentary principles of linguistics--despite not having studied Latin--the translation could probably be cleaned up a bit by carefully comparing the Latin to the English rendered by google. Consulting a Latin grammar could be of yet further help in doing that. As someone who has had no formal study of Latin but has worked with a few other languages--both ancient and modern--I'll be keeping google translator in mind for instances when I might need a quick and dirty rendering of some Latin passages.

      James
    • David C Hindley
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2011
        Oh my!

        The Letter to Theodore, including quotations from Secret Mark, and attributed to Clement of Alexandria, was written in the end pages of a tattered edition of Isaac Voss' _S. Ignatii Martyris epistolae genuinae ex Bibliothecâ Florentinâ_ (1646), found in one of the libraries of Mar Saba monastery. Voss was the first to eliminate the genuine Epistles of Ignatius to those of the shorter Greek version.

        You might try to contact Stephen Carlson, as he had acquired a copy of the 2nd edition as part of the research for his book _Gospel Hoax_. There may be a section on the Testimonium in that book.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio USA

        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2011
          >The Letter to Theodore, including quotations from Secret Mark, and
          >attributed to Clement of Alexandria, was written in the end pages of a
          >tattered edition of Isaac Voss' _S. Ignatii Martyris epistolae genuinae ex
          >Bibliothecâ Florentinâ_ (1646), found in one of the libraries of Mar Saba
          >monastery. Voss was the first to eliminate the genuine Epistles of Ignatius
          >to those of the shorter Greek version.

          >You might try to contact Stephen Carlson, as he had acquired a copy of the
          >2nd edition as part of the research for his book _Gospel Hoax_. There may
          >be a section on the Testimonium in that book.

          Thanks, that was the piece I was missing. However, I have zero interest in
          this subject, though I'm glad Stephen wrote his book on it, for people who
          do have an interest in it. Me, I'll stick with Latin. Quo celerior es, hoc
          recuti difficilius!

          N.E. Barry Hofstetter
          Classics and Bible @ TAA
          http://www.theamericanacademy.net