Re: [textualcriticism] Latin to English translation help?

  • Barry H.
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17 2:42 PM
      From: "Robert Relyea" <bob@...>
      To: <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "freethinkaluva" <freethinkaluva@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Latin to English translation help?

      >Another tool that can get you an approximate translation is Google
      Translate. Their latin translation is not as good as their translations
      to living languages yet, but it can give you a rough approximation:

      >http://translate.google.com/?sl=la&tl=en#

      >Of course a human with a modest knowledge of Latin will usually give you
      better results. Here's Google's results:

      >Do you not famous, but Joseph's the testimony of the Hebrews of Christ?
      Yet he could hardly any one amongst you will find the Christians of our
      age, to which this is not a counterfeit spurium and may be seen. We have
      spoken of some things of him in another place: to say that a wholly from
      all doubt be put away, and another to also argumentnm I will fetch a
      most firm, from which liquid is known, even if those words of Christ,
      Joseph is not among the documents, then, however, from a preservative of
      him so our thought, that to put him the Messias, it believes that the truth.

      >Note that Google did not know what spurium was. It did not notice that
      argumentum was mispelled (changing argumentnm to argumentum), there was
      no hint that veto replaced vero, and the human translation from Barry
      Hofstetter is clearly better English.

      >Still the Google translation can give you a quick access to a latin
      phrase or paragraph.

      Bob, it produced virtual nonsense. I doubt that any English speaker could
      tell us what this is really supposed to mean.

      On stock phrases, google translator does ok, but it tends to break down on
      anything longer.

      N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
      Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
      http://www.theamericanacademy.net
      (2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)
      V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
      bhofstetter@...
      http://www.tnars.net

      http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry
    • James Miller
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18 5:47 AM
        --- On Tue, 5/17/11, Barry H. <nebarry@...> wrote:

        > Bob, it produced virtual nonsense.  I doubt that any
        > English speaker could
        > tell us what this is really supposed to mean.

        Agreed, it gives a pretty ridiculous rendering. Still, on looking over the "translation" I was thinking that, for someone who's worked in a foreign language or two and who knows some rudimentary principles of linguistics--despite not having studied Latin--the translation could probably be cleaned up a bit by carefully comparing the Latin to the English rendered by google. Consulting a Latin grammar could be of yet further help in doing that. As someone who has had no formal study of Latin but has worked with a few other languages--both ancient and modern--I'll be keeping google translator in mind for instances when I might need a quick and dirty rendering of some Latin passages.

        James
      • David C Hindley
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18 6:22 AM
          Oh my!

          The Letter to Theodore, including quotations from Secret Mark, and attributed to Clement of Alexandria, was written in the end pages of a tattered edition of Isaac Voss' _S. Ignatii Martyris epistolae genuinae ex Bibliothecâ Florentinâ_ (1646), found in one of the libraries of Mar Saba monastery. Voss was the first to eliminate the genuine Epistles of Ignatius to those of the shorter Greek version.

          You might try to contact Stephen Carlson, as he had acquired a copy of the 2nd edition as part of the research for his book _Gospel Hoax_. There may be a section on the Testimonium in that book.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Newton Falls, Ohio USA

          Message 4 of 12 , May 18 7:39 AM
            >The Letter to Theodore, including quotations from Secret Mark, and
            >attributed to Clement of Alexandria, was written in the end pages of a
            >tattered edition of Isaac Voss' _S. Ignatii Martyris epistolae genuinae ex
            >Bibliothecâ Florentinâ_ (1646), found in one of the libraries of Mar Saba
            >monastery. Voss was the first to eliminate the genuine Epistles of Ignatius
            >to those of the shorter Greek version.

            >You might try to contact Stephen Carlson, as he had acquired a copy of the
            >2nd edition as part of the research for his book _Gospel Hoax_. There may
            >be a section on the Testimonium in that book.

            Thanks, that was the piece I was missing. However, I have zero interest in
            this subject, though I'm glad Stephen wrote his book on it, for people who
            do have an interest in it. Me, I'll stick with Latin. Quo celerior es, hoc
            recuti difficilius!

            N.E. Barry Hofstetter
            Classics and Bible @ TAA
            http://www.theamericanacademy.net